Recess cover - lowering advice

Foul and surface water, private drains and public sewers, land drains and soakaways, filter drains and any other ways of getting rid of water.
mosquat

Hi all,

I need to lower the existing cover slightly, and then I can hopefully fit a square to round recess cover.

however has anyone got any advice on what I can do with the current riser (pictured)? It seems to be made of metal so not sure if it can be cut or maybe there are "rings" I can remove once the existing cover is removed?

hoping someone has seen one of these before and can point me in the right direction:

Cheers for any help

Carl

digerjones

I would say they are plastic risers, if so quiet straight forward.
dylan

seanandruby
Site Admin

The cover is metal about 30ish ml thick. The risers will be plastic, about 300ish in height. I presume this will be in a driveway? Cut the existing to required height allowing an upstand to stop concrete falling in i c. The top 150 will need to be a concrete plinth. Wrap around the fins with something so that no concrete actually touches the fins , that way the i c won't be load bearing.
sean

mosquat

Thanks for the advice, I will double check them again but they feel metallic, I hope you're right of course.

Sean - great advice. Are the fins the technical term for the riser rings? Sorry for the dumb Q

seanandruby
Site Admin

If they are metal then you will need to cut with a petrol saw such as sthill saw and metal cutting blade. No a riser is correct term. As you can see it's smooth on the inside riser but on the outside there are 'fins'. If you sctatch the inside with a nail, screwdriver, it will give you an idea of material used. Never come across a metal riser before.
sean

Tony McC
Site Admin

They are plastic risers/raising sections, so it's nowt more complicated than breaking out the concrete haunch around the existing circular frame and then using a nangle grinder to slice through the riser from inside the chamber.

Best to dig out around the raising piece *before* you cut it, to a depth roughly 50-100mm below where you intend to cut it, so that the backfill material doesn't fall into the chamber whgen you remove the unwanted section.
Site Agent - Pavingexpert

mosquat

Cheers everyone, consensus this end is plastic too, glad we had this discussion all the same

jwill

So these lids should always be bedded off the subbase rather than connect to risers if in a driveway?

seanandruby
Site Admin

All I Cs inspection chambers, covers, lids etc: have different loadings, surround specs' etc: in a drive there must be 150 ml deep concrete plinth surround.
sean

Tony McC
Site Admin

The circular covers for circular ICs bed directly onto the raising rings but, when used in a pavement subject to vehicular traffic, they are usually set onto a concrete bed which surrounds the raising ring, to reduce the vertical loading on the IC.
Site Agent - Pavingexpert

jwill

Yes understand. Still connected but bedded/haunched to spread load

seanandruby
Site Admin

Bearing in mind the vertical load is still imposed if concreting directly against the ribs/fins. An external shutter is needed around the riser to avoid concreting the ribs/fins with concrete collar. The collar/plinth needs to be wide enough to carry the frame.
sean

Forestboy1978

I did this exact thing only last month to 3 drains that were creating tripping hazards. Marked a line where I wanted to cut, drilled a hole and then cut through them like swiss cheese with a jigsaw. Billed an architectural company 270 for that and re haunching the lid supports. Took me 2 hours including travel time. Was chuffed as pie.