Drainage beneath new pond

Foul and surface water, private drains and public sewers, land drains and soakaways, filter drains and any other ways of getting rid of water.
catkinson

Thanks for all the great info on this site.

Can anyone advise on this problem. I'm in the process of digging a new pond and due the high water table in my garden (only 12 ins of topsoil over heavy clay subsoil) I've had to locate the pond in an area I know will become waterlogged in the winter. I've read that the pond will therefore require drainage below the liner. OK so I'll excavate another 8 inches or so and sandwich perforated pipes in a layer of gravel. I don't have anywhere to direct this groundwater other than to collect in a sump and then pump into the nearest (12ft away) surface drain. Two questions please - the pond area is only 3.4m x 2.4m what can I use as a sump - I had thought about burying a plastic dustbin, is this a ridiculous idea ! Secondly any recommendations on a suitable pump - it would need to have a float switch and be rated for continuous use and need to lift the water around 1.5m ?

Many thanks for reading

84-1093879891

A buried plastic bin is fine, or you could buy one or more of the soakaway/storage units shown on the [url=http://www.pavingexpert.com/drain08.html[/url] and use them.

Any pump with a float switch would be suitable. The Draper SWP 235ADW is a good choice as it can cope with larger particles that may,, inadvertantly, find their way into the sytem. It can cope with a lift (head) of up to 8.5 metres and can thrash out a respectable 235 litres per minute. A 240v model costs around 120 quid (plus the dreaded VAT, of course)