Drainage and DPC

Foul and surface water, private drains and public sewers, land drains and soakaways, filter drains and any other ways of getting rid of water.
68-1093879151

I have been laying a patio along the side of my house from front to back (with the excellent aid of this site). The only drainage point I have is at the front of the house and have therefore inclined the patio towards that way. The highest point of the patio is around 170mm below DPC and the lowest point at the front of the property is around 250mm below DPC. My question really relates to the drainage issue and whether I should link up to the existing system via a linear drain and pipe section cut in to the existing downpipe or whether as I am well below DPC at the point of rain collection on the patio that it is necessary at all. At present the rain collecting at the front end of the patio just sinks through the soil.
Connecting to the down pipe would involve lifting of the street paving, which although reluctant to do, if deemed necessary would accept.
Any advise will be greatly appreciated.

84-1093879891

Normally, I would always send the surface water from a patio (or any other pavement) to a proper drainage point. Whether that drainage point is linked to a local outfall, to the sewer systemm or to a soakaway somewhere onsite doesn't really matter, as long as I was sure the surface water was gone from my paving.

However, if you have a situation where the water is finding its own way off the paving and is draining away without any problem, then maybe it's best to leave it for the time being - if it ain't broke: don't fix it! You may find, though, that after a year or so of draining the patio, this low spot becomes 'silted up' and the surface water starts to hang around after the rain has stopped. That would be the time to install a "proper" drain of some description.

Suck it and see, as they say! :)

68-1093879151

Thanks very much for the swift reply. The intention has always been to install the drain as mentioned (if a job is worth doing, it's worth doing well). Your points confirm my intention, only that now I can take the time to complete the project properly over the Summer/Autumn rather then rushing to get it done, (not that that will please her who must be obeyed).
Thanks Again.