Gravel/chippings driveway and paddock boundary - Driveways

Setts and cobbles, tarmac, asphalt, resin systems, concrete whether it's plain, patterned or stencilled, gravels, etc.
jc_uk

Hi,

We have a shared driveway/courtyard with houses and private driveways to the right and a grass paddock to the left.

The area is almost level with no gradients and is covered with 20mm limestone chippings laid over MOT and then wackerplated. This was last topped up about 5 years ago.

The boundary with the grass paddock is currently marked by large stones/rocks bedded in concrete. This boundary is about 60m long (straight line) in total.

I am looking for suggestions on the following:
1. The boundary to the Paddock is slightly off plan (about 1m in places. I would like to rework this with suitable material to form a good barrier to retain the gravel and also a good edge to allow the grass to be mowed. This boundary is likely to be walked over and also driven over (tractors etc) so something robust and not too much of an obsticle is required.

2. The boundaries between the shared access and the private driveways (approx. 50m straight line) are currently unmarked on the ground and it is unclear to the observer where the boundaries are. I would like to mark these boundaries with something like padstones set into the ground that could then be covered with the chippings, so the markers are there and can be checked when required.
These would be driven over by cars/vans so would need to be robust.

3. The 20mm chippings are laid over MOT which was put down originally over a mud/concrete/hardcore base - old farmyard.....
Currently there is quite a lot of grass/weeds coming up in places through the chippings.
Do we just lay more MOT and chippings and hit the grass with Glyco/Roundup?

Many thanks for any suggestions
jc_uk

Tony McC
Site Admin

1 - you need a flush edging, perhaps summat like a brick laid on concrete. If you were looking for something simpler, then a plain flat top edging would do the job.

2 - Again, I'd go with the bricks/block pavers on a concrete bed and haunch.

3 - Depends how bad it is. I'd prefer to rip up the lot, put down a geo-textile membrane, then place fresh Type 1 and chippings. If it is just a case of sediment and vegetation, then a good weedkiller and a topping-up of chippings might just be adequate.
Site Agent - Pavingexpert