Laying a circular formation

Patio flagstones (slabs), concrete flags, stone flags including yorkstone and imported flagstones.
86-1093879911

Hi there,

I purchased a circular formation and some square slabs recently and am looking at commencing of the laying of the slabs next month. This will be my first time to attempt to lay slabs and was wondering if you could give me any tips. Here's what Im going to be doing -

1) Laying the circular formation in the center of the garden. What do I need to put under the slabs? Do I put more at the center of the formation?

2) I have a section of the garden, which leads to a shed, that I can to create a slabed walkway out to. The walkway will be encased in loose stones and will they will not be connected to each other (maybe a foot or so apart). What should I put under each of these seperated slabs?

I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Regards,

Darren

84-1093879891

Hi,

there's page after page of tips on laying flags/slabs on the website. Start by having a read of the Laying Flags page.

That will, probably, lead you on to screeding and how to knock-up a bedding mix, which is what you want to be using beneath the flags of your circle feature - a 10:1 semi-dry mix or grit sand and cement, or grit sand + gravel and cement.

For the individual stepping stones, you could use the same bedding mix, but, if the flags are less than 450mm in any dimension, make the mix a bit damper, so that it hold the flags more firmly, and pack some extra bedding mic around the edges to prevent the flag slipping laterally.