Mauls and mallets

For the discussion of hand tools, power tools, operated and non-operated plant, and all sorts of kit associated with the paving and drainage trades
cm233lh

I've just taken delivery of my slabs - very nice Stoneflair sandstone in several different sizes. Now it's theory no more, and I've actually got to lay them. My question is about tools. I've read the section on mauls and mallets, and I really wanted to confirm whether a paver's maul is an essential with big flags. Some of the stones are 600 x 900 and up to 50 mm thick, so must weigh about 50-60 kg in some cases. I have a rubber mallet weighing about 1 kg, but I suspect that a stone of that size is going to laugh at such an implement. Do I have to get a proper maul, or can the job be done with a little rubber mallet?

Rich H

Your 1kg mallet is fine, if the bedding's right. If you've got to hammer hell out of it, there's too much muck under the slab.

"If in doubt, flip it out."

Good luck.

andpartington

i have layed my drive ect just with a little mallet ok 2 mallets (on a wet mix) i did end up jumping on some of the big ones :d

have a go with a little one if you find is no good trade it in for a larger model or jump on them

andy
Warning "Dyslexic Fingers At Work" in Cheadle, Manchester UK
cheers andy

lutonlagerlout
Site Admin

i have done 80m2 recently with a 1kg rubber mallet,its all about getting your bedding just so
you can give sandstone a mighty wack as well with a little mallet ,just not too near the edges
cheers LLL :)
"what,you want paying today??"

YOUR TEXT GOES HERE