Rails - Screeding issue

For the discussion of hand tools, power tools, operated and non-operated plant, and all sorts of kit associated with the paving and drainage trades
Pozzouk

Morning All,

Goes without saying - What a great site!

My question is in two parts:

First off - what is best for use as a rails when screeding?

And two - i want to achieve a grit depth of around 50mm for my 60mm concrete blocks..........so in goes the grit and on goes the whacker for a once or two over......i presume after this, is when i put down the rails find my levels and scrape off with straght edge???

Cheers Pozzouk.
There's no point gettin old if you don't get wize!

seanandruby
Site Admin

You can use anything as long as its straight and true, i e conduit, timber etc; place the sand 50mlish high then wack a couple of times, then screed it off to your level of choice. after this scoop out and place rails, or if you have edges, use a notched board. all the info you need is on the main site. good luck.
sean

Pozzouk

Thanks Sean,

Someone said that 22mm copper pipe was good but i was not sure if there was something better - Sounds like that grit packs down a fair bit! - i'm wondering now if i have enough? Like, i've got 40 mts of blocks to lay and only 2.4mts - ie, 4 tone bags on site.......Hmmm?

Cheers Pozzouk. ???

lutonlagerlout
Site Admin

4 tonne sounds about right for 50mm of screed,i use a notched straight edge off of the edgings if they are there,i normally cut the notch so that the blocks will be 7 mm high when laid ,then by the time you have sanded and wacked them they will be near enough flush.
if there are no edgings use electrical conduit ,it is far stronger than copper.
hope this helps
LLL :)
"what,you want paying today??"

YOUR TEXT GOES HERE

Pozzouk

Thanks for the advice lads,

I've done a few paved drives in the past but they have been small bendy jobs that i have screeded by hand (what a work up, although they have stood the test of time so must have done it right) However, this job has quite a fall and for me at 5x8 mts is as large as i have dared to approach - so one last queery?

I guess these rails are put down after the screed is whacked? Then scraped to suit Y/N???

Pozzouk.

PS. Before i start laying i might have another problem - like, i only have access from one side and i gather it is best practise to lay the blocks uphill - we are doing the job in herringbone.

seanandruby
Site Admin

Yes sand, wacker, rails then screed. lay from any solid edge. dont forget all info is on main site free of charge. :;):
sean

Pozzouk

Thanks again - roll on Tuesday - a couple a dry days please!

Pozzouk.:)