Chainsaw - Conifer hedge

For the discussion of hand tools, power tools, operated and non-operated plant, and all sorts of kit associated with the paving and drainage trades
mrcw

Any tips for using a chainsaw safely, to cut a conifer hedge, its too thick for a hedge cutter, its about 3 ft wide, the chainsaw is about 40cm bar

dig dug dan

Get some chainsaw protective Bib and brace. If the chainsaw comes into contact with it, it stops it dead. Saves you really injuring youselfs.
You will also want a hard hat with built in ear defenders and visor, and some chainsaw gloves.
If you are hiring the saw, They should have a safety kit comprising of all these things included
If you are topping a hedge, Make sure you have a good footing.
Also, in between cuts, apply the safety brake to the saw.
Never use the saw one handed, and wathc out for obstructions hidden within the hedge, such as old chain-link posts!
I hope this helps

(no broken sympathy meters needed here)

:)
Dan the Crusher Man
01442 212315
www.crusherhire.co.uk
"a satisfied customer? we should have them stuffed!"

mrcw

I read that if the nose of the bar comes into contact, with a branch, it can cause kick back, does that mean, just the nose, not as i will be topping the hegde with all of the bar, I should be ok, as the nose will have to contact with the hedge, the chainsaw is mine, never used, i will be using a good footing, and getting some gloves,

Cheers

rms

Hi Labourer,

I know that this reply is a bit late! Had you used a chainsaw before and how did you get on? Reducing a conifer hedge is not really the best way of practicing!

The main problem with this type of hedge, particularly with larger hedges is small stubby sticks or branches flicking the chain off.

Tony McC
Site Admin

Reminds me of when I worked on a certain garden makeover website some years ago. Somebody posted in to ask at what height they should trim their Leylandii hedge, and the bloke responsible for answering the trees & shrubs questions replied, "About three inches above ground level" :D
Site Agent - Pavingexpert

LuckyPants

rms wrote:Hi Labourer,

I know that this reply is a bit late! Had you used a chainsaw before and how did you get on? Reducing a conifer hedge is not really the best way of practicing!

The main problem with this type of hedge, particularly with larger hedges is small stubby sticks or branches flicking the chain off.

If stubby branches are flicking off your chain, then it is too slack and REALLY dangerous.

I would advise all chainsaw users to get a basic chainsaw safety certificate, before using one.

dig dug dan

Quite right
It is actually illegal for any contractor to use a chainsaw without a certificate, and if an accident were to occur, then health and safety will come down hard
The average man on the street doing his own garden work does not need one , even though they are more likely to do themsleves damage
one rule for one and another for someone else!

rms

The chain does not have to be particularly slack to get thrown off with this type of hedge. If the chain comes off it is not dangerous, just annoying!