Hiring in plant - Hire charge confusion

For the discussion of hand tools, power tools, operated and non-operated plant, and all sorts of kit associated with the paving and drainage trades
dig dug dan

I recently asked for a 3 tonne excavator, and a 3 tonne site dumper to be delivered to a site from a company i have used for a number of years.
I stated I wanted the machines for a week. They were delivered approx 10am on a wednesday. I off hired said machines 10am the following wednesday. a week right? wrong!!
They told me that a week is 5 days, and its standard across the hire companies.
I checked with hsss, and their week is 7 days. and Speedy hire is 7 days. Had i known this, i would have off hired earlier, especiallly as they said the weekend was free.
So i got charged for 6 days hire. so if the weekend is free, then i still had it 5 days surely?
No matter how much i disagreed that this was wrong, and what the dictionary defination of a week was, there was no getting through.
has anyone else found this?
When I hire my crusher, a week is a week, and 5 days is 5 days. or am i missing something?
Dan the Crusher Man
01442 212315
www.crusherhire.co.uk
"a satisfied customer? we should have them stuffed!"

very simple simon

one word - theiving bastards!

Delivered on Weds am...a full week to speedy etc. is offhire on tuesday afternoon the next week. i.e. you are putting hours on the machine all day weds, thurs, fri, mon and tue, 5 whole days use of the machine, not up until 10 am or when it was delivered.

the thing to do is offhire last thing the day before you will be finished with it. With any luck all the transport for the next day will be tied up until the afternoon, so your machine will not be collected first thing.

Earlier this year we hired a 21t machine for 7am monday. Machine turns up breakfast time tuesday. I said to the hire co can we have a credit please. yes sir no probs I will credit you 2 days hire from monday morning

WHOA!
how can you credit me 2 days hire from when I didn't have the bloody machine? Theiving, robdog, arab swines :angry: :angry: :angry:

oh yes...send them back full everytime as well. Bulk gasoil is maybe 50p /litre, speedy or HE charge quid a slug when you offhire...21 tonne machine goes back 3/4 full == 2 days hire

sorry rant over :p
New and improved...Mk. II...10% simpler...still called Simon!

Brerrebate

Hi DDD,

Plant Hire is my core business.
5 days or 7 make no difference to me. If a client has been good enough to take the machine for a week, then I'm happy with 5 days revenue.
That doesn't mean they can take it on Thurs lunchtime, return Monday evening and expect a bill for 2 days though. :p

On the other hand, time of delivery to site is very important.
If I cannot garauntee the low loader there for start time in the morning, then the machine gets dropped off the evening before.
Cheers :cool:
So much to learn & only one life in which to do it...

Mikey_C

Can you not explain the misunderstanding, then explain how you have enjoyed doing business with them and that you would like it to continue, and then if they don't play ball vote with your feet and go elsewhere! When was the last time you had a ring around to make sure they were competitive? You may find you get a nice surprise!

lutonlagerlout
Site Admin

name and shame dan
FYI i attempted to hire some kit in speedy hire in luton
day 1 "we havent got it in m8 will have 1 tomorrow"
day 2 " f**k it,as soon as i saw your face i knew i had forgot something"
day3 " sorry chav mcchav isnt in today and he has left no note of item you are after"
day 4 went to another company,and if anyone doesnt want or need my business i will go elsewhere,its a simple business rule

customer is king

if they want to knock you for 2 days that might cost them £000's in the next 10 years

LLL ???
"what,you want paying today??"

YOUR TEXT GOES HERE

matt h

thats the way nto do it , hit them where it hurts
general builder, maintenance engineer, gas and plumbing installations, extensions etc

Tony McC
Site Admin

Is the hire company a member of HAE? I'm fairly sure their terms are calendar weeks, so Weds to Tues would be a week (or 5 times the daily rate) but Weds to Weds might be 6 days.

However, most reasonable hire co's would accept that it was a week and wouldn't try to screw you for the extra day.
Site Agent - Pavingexpert

squire

Tony McC wrote:However, most reasonable hire co's would accept that it was a week and wouldn't try to screw you for the extra day.
True.

I deal with hire companies for a living and 10am Wed to 10am the following Wed is a week, no more or no less. If they want to charge a week and a day for it then they can try but their invoice will sit on a desk for six months.

If you stick to your guns with these people they normally see sense in the end.

In my game, I find some of the smaller hire companies much better to deal with than the bigger companies. They are more flexible, you can get a delivery at 5am or 9pm and because they are small you are normally dealing with a person that can make a decision rather than some pleb who wouldn't know a mini digger from a roller.

You might have to pay a few quid more but the right kind of service can save you a lot of money in the long run.

dig dug dan

10am Wed to 10am the following Wed is a week, no more or no less.

Thankyou, thats what i thought. but i got charged an extra day!

Can you not explain the misunderstanding, then explain how you have enjoyed doing business with them and that you would like it to continue,

I did try that. I spoke to the owners wife who does the accounts, and the reply was " lets just agree to disagree on this occasion"
I really need to go in and speak with the man himself who I have always dealt with. He is the owner and it's only a small hire outfit, but with lots of machines from .8tonne up to 13tonners

When was the last time you had a ring around to make sure they were competitive? You may find you get a nice surprise!

I paid £220 for a week (the 5 day week apparantly) for a 3 tonner, brand new machine, plus £10 each way delivery. I thought this was reasonable.

name and shame dan

I might if i get no joy. they are in luton tony!

not sure if they belong to HAE. I don't for a start, but at least i recognise a week
Dan the Crusher Man
01442 212315
www.crusherhire.co.uk
"a satisfied customer? we should have them stuffed!"