Yorkstone crazy paving path

Patio flagstones (slabs), concrete flags, stone flags including yorkstone and imported flagstones.
Aries

Yorkstone crazy paving path

I'd just like to thank PavingExpert and the gurus for their expertise which helped us to lay our new path.

The original was a tonne of new yorkstone put down nearly 40 years ago directly on the ground. Needless to say, it sank and we finally decided to have it all up, re-lay it, and enlarge it a bit to take our new reconstitued stone seat.

The ground was more-or-less levelled and hammered down, then covered with heavy-duty weed suppressant fabric, and a layer of chickenwire to act as a bit of reinforcing - there are willow roots under the path which will (I expect) over time cause it to rise, and we wanted to try to make it last for a good while.

The base was Blue Circle Slablayer, poured onto and through the chickenwire, tamped down, watered as per instructions, and then raked and tamped. This gave a reasonable base - but the top surface which was basically sand needed to be removed.

The rest was a question of laying and levelling each stone individually - I got quite good at riving the slabs to make them a bit thinner. We needed more stones, so we got some reclaimed stones which turned out to have black (some sort of paint - not lichen or algae) which we scraped off. Finally, my wife pointed all the joints.

Total - 122 stones (assorted sizes) and about 12m2 of path.

Please feel free to comment and criticise - we're still willing to learn (even at our age)