Draining front yard - How to kep within the law

Foul and surface water, private drains and public sewers, land drains and soakaways, filter drains and any other ways of getting rid of water.
scottyboy

I am planning to pave the front yard of my daughter's terraced house in London. It is 8 sq.m. and I don't want the hassle of applying for planning permission for draining it and I don't want to consider connecting to the public sewer. I also don't want to use porous paving. My preference would be to drain it into a soakaway (after checking suitability with a porosity test) but I cannot because it would be less than the permitted 5m away from the house. I understand that to comply with the law I can pave 8 sq.m. as long as it drains onto a lawn or a permeable border. Can you tell me what size the permeable border should be? If a permeable border is acceptable then how is that any different from a soakaway?

thanks, scottyboy

seanandruby
Site Admin

A soakaway is deeper and the water should slowly filter away over time. A border could become saturated in heavy prolonged downpours. How much distance do you have for a soakaway from house, boundary etc:
sean

scottyboy

The frontage is 4m long and there is a boundary wall 2m from the front of the house. I like the idea of the linear drain/trench shown on the SUDS page. Do you think a trench 600mm deep and 300mm wide would be acceptable as a method of infiltration in my situation?
PSH

seanandruby
Site Admin

As it says on the tin "the soil needs to be free draining." Have you done a perculation test to test the ground?
sean

scottyboy

A percolation test will be my first job when I get there next week (daughter lives 200miles away). If the ground isn't suitable I guess that permeable paving is the answer. Instead of the purpose-made permeable blocks is there a way of using traditional paving slabs/flags but leaving wide gaps filled with gravel/chippings to allow for percolation?
PSH

lutonlagerlout
Site Admin

depending where she is in London,the ground is unlikely to be free draining 8 m2 is a small ish area I wouldnt get too worked up maybe just a linear channel to a bucket of gravel would meet the regs
LLL
"what,you want paying today??"

YOUR TEXT GOES HERE

lutonlagerlout
Site Admin

depending where she is in London,the ground is unlikely to be free draining 8 m2 is a small ish area I wouldnt get too worked up maybe just a linear channel to a bucket of gravel would meet the regs
LLL
"what,you want paying today??"

YOUR TEXT GOES HERE

scottyboy

thanks LLL, I was thinking along those lines so it's good to have a second opinion. I'll be doing a porosity test tomorrow and I am thinking it should be OK because the area at the moment is a layer of gravel over soil and it seems to drain away naturally without getting boggy or ponding.

PSH
PSH

scottyboy

I have done a porosity test with a result of 13.8. Apparently the result should be within the range 15 to 100. Does anyone know why there is a minimum of 15? I thought the lower the figure the better.
PSH

infoseeker5

The attached link explains the reasoning for the minimum of 15.

https://www.direct-drainage.co.uk/pages....ty-test

Regards
Infoseeker5