Retaining blocks stairs - Best way to install the retaining blocks

All forms of block paving, brick paving, flexible or rigid, concrete or clays, new construction or renovation
wobbleslab

Hi there everyone, i am new to this forum. i come from Canada.

recently, i have hired a contractor to put up a retaining blocks stairs for me. the retaining blocks are solid blocks. He has finished the cutting and dry fitting. And then he left the job. the step blocks are not adhered to the retaining blocks yet. when i walk or step on it, it wobbles. He told me on the phone that, put some landscape block adhesive between them, then it would be stable and secure.

i doubt it, what do you guys think?
i am thinking about using thin-set to settle these step blocks? haha

Also, there are big gaps between each riser and steps. He told me to fill it with cement and sand mix. Is that how you guys would do it?

anyway input would be nice. Thanks

wobbleslab

Tony McC
Site Admin

I really, *really* don't like that construction!

The tread blocks are only held in position (if that's the right term) by a tongue-and-groove joint. Should anyone step on the outer edge of the tread, what's to stop it lifting at the back and coming off the riser block completely?

It looks very much like an accident waiting to happen!

That gap between tread and subsequent riser is worrying. Surely, that can't be right! WE have similar system in Europse, but they are used solely for walling NOT for steps, but even with walling, there is no place for such gaps.....unless the setting-out was wrong to start off with!

And why the hell should *you* have to carry out remedial work to a newly-constructed step? What is this contractor being paid to do, at all? Get the lazy, slipshod bugger back to build it properly or reimburse whatever you paid him!
Site Agent - Pavingexpert

wobbleslab

HI Tony
Thanks for the reply.
i haven't been calling him for weeks. He is not coming back. i shouldn't had paid him upfront.
Anyway, i hope you guys can give me some advice to finish the stairs.
wobbleslab

wobbleslab

ok....this forum is pretty empty...
wobbleslab

seanandruby
Site Admin

wobbleslab wrote:ok....this forum is pretty empty...
Bit like your head then
sean