Slot drainage on patio - Slot drainage on patio

Foul and surface water, private drains and public sewers, land drains and soakaways, filter drains and any other ways of getting rid of water.
danped

Hi,

I'm putting some slot drainage channel at the edge of my patio before laying the flags. I have a run of about 6 of them before then a p trap and then a length of pipe into some existing drainage. I am a bit concerned that the p trap will be entirely underground and I'll have no access to unblock the drain at any point, it there any issue with this or is there something I should do to allow access?

Thanks,
Dan

Tony McC
Site Admin

The P-trap sits directly beneath the slot drain, so you could use a compatible slot drain access cover to give you that access to the outlet and, thereby, the surface side of the P-trap.

Then, if you make the pipework from the P-trap conncet to the existing drainage line via an access cover or inspection chamber, you have access *back* to the P-trap from the sewer side.

Does that make sense?
Site Agent - Pavingexpert

danped

Thanks, that makes sense, but I dont think there is a slot drain access cover for the Bielbet Slot Drain: http://www.drainageshop.co.uk/category-6110.html
:(

Tony McC
Site Admin

I'm not familiar with that range, but I wouldn't be installing *any* linear system to whiuch I had no access for necessary maintenance. How do they expect you to clear out silt and detritus if there is no access section?

At least when you use 'standard' channel drainage, you can lift off the gratings to get access, but that's simply not practical with slot drainage systems, which is why access sections are absolutely essential.
Site Agent - Pavingexpert

danped

Ah. Is this a slot drain access cover? link

seanandruby
Site Admin

Why will the p trap be buried? Can't you use a raising piece? Yes that unit is ok for slot drain but i would like to see a bit deeper sump to collect silt etc: you can cut the bottom on those to add more depth. Also you will need an end adaptor to convert to 100/150 pipe.
sean

danped

Thanks so I'll need:

slot drain -> end adapter -> slot drain access cover -> p trap -> access point on the other side -> connection to sw drain

That said, that access point seems oversized to me it is 25cm x 25cm.

seanandruby
Site Admin

Well you could use an aco sump, not as wide but deeper, about 600ml. They take a silt catcher bucket. Your teap at 250, halve it and 125ml either side. You need to be able to get your hand/rod in there that's why it's calked access chamber.
sean

danped

I think a raising piece would solve my problem but I can't find one with a 110mm inlet. ???

danped

An in line bottle gulley was the answer rather than a p trap! Although I had seen these I hadn't appreciated they also have an air trap in them. Thanks for the help.