No more tears for toddlers - Playground surface

Setts and cobbles, tarmac, asphalt, resin systems, concrete whether it's plain, patterned or stencilled, gravels, etc.
ro1877

My wife and some other mothers have started a playgroup in our area. It is run as a charity and money is always short. However it has proven to become popular and has grown running 5 days a week catering for around 30 kids. There is an outdoor area of about 35 square meters which is mostly covered by Tarmac with sharp pebbles stuck in the tar. The rest is mud and weeds. The pebbles seem to have compounded into the Tarmac now so they can’t be swept away. The surface is also pretty uneven.

Can anybody advise us of a good toddler friendly surface which doesn’t brake the bank?
My guess is we have to remove the existing tarmac in order to get a plain and level surface.
Any comments welcome.
Thanks !

danensis

Why not put an edging round and fill the area with play bark?

ro1877

Thanks for your reply!
The nursery teacher has told me that bark can't be used because of potential children allergies. It probably won't make a good surface for toys with wheels either.

Our local builders merchant sells ‘rubber’ tiles which are about 40 Pound per square meter. They suggest to cover the whole area with wood decking first, to level it of. I have no idea how much the wood decking is going to be but it sounds expensive.

Any other suggestions?

84-1093879891

The rubber safety tiles only need a level base - there's no need for decking or anything as ridiculous as that! If the existing bitmac is reasonably level, then the tiles could sit directly on top.

There is also a wet-pour rubber-like surfacing that can be used on uneven surfaces, but that's usually a bit more expensive than the self-fit tiles.

I recently saw some interlocking crumb-rubber paving blocks, only around 25mm thick, that can be used for playgrounds and the like. They were selling for around 30 quid per square metre, plus the VAT, and then there's the installation cost.

However, I'm sure I was talking to one of the crumb-rubber tile suppliers at GLEE last year and they were offering a basic, black, nowt-fancy, safety tile system at only 22 quid per square metre, including the fitting glue.

There are no cheaper alternatives, unless you accept a loose-fill, such as play bark or crumb-rubber, and all the problems that come with them.

Do you know the name of the product offered at your local BM?

ro1877

Hello Tony

Unfortunately I don't know the name of the product our local BM sells but I will find out in the next couple of days and let you know.
Meanwhile do you remember the company who supply the nowt-fancy, safety tile system at around 22 quid per square metre?
This sounds by far the best option.
Do you reckon we can fit those tiles ourselves and just get someone in to prepare a level bitmac?

Thanks,

84-1093879891

The tiles I mentioned are from KSM Safer Surfaces, and are sold as their "Eco-Tile" range.

Telephone - 01376 515164

I did have a web address for them, but the last time I passed it on, the blokle complained that it led to a lewd site full of err....err... underdressed mature ladies of ample bosom, shall we say. I've not come across a new url (poor choice of phrase, there Tony!) yet, but I'll try and dig something up over the weekend.

If you get someone in to do the bitmac prep work, I can't see any reason why a competent DIYer wouldn't be able to glue down these tiles. It's no more difficult than normal floor tiling, but on a bigger scale, as the tiles are 500x500x25mm.

115-1093880813

We might be able to help, we are developing a resin bound rubber crumb "screed" which would be laid on to the existing surface.

I don't know your timescale, but if you give me a few days I'll come back to you via this site or by direct contact if you prefer.

Perhaps we can tie up with a local contractor and do a free or low-cost install and use it for some publicity/promotion?

Where is the job?

Regards

84-1093879891

I'd be keen to hear more about this project, Sim. It's one of those rapidly developing areas of the hard-landscaping industry that is ripe for some new ideas.

ro1877

Simeon

That sounds even better! The Nursery is in Gipsey Bridge near Boston, Lincolnshire. About 2 ½ hours drive from Harlow. Is this too far away for you?
I also have an excellent contractor to hand who has recently done our drive.
Feel free to give me a call on 01205 280613.

Looking forward!

ro1877

Tony

KSM's website is www.ksmltd.co.uk
No sign of big bosoms... but they do advetise the 'playtile' you mentioned.

84-1093879891

Aaaah! I think the ample bosoms were on a site that didn't include the "ltd" bit in the url.

I shall contact them for some updated info. Let me know how you get on.

ro1877

Hi Simeon

Just wanted to follow up again on your new "screed" product.
Is it already available?
Are you still interested in the biggest marketing opportunity in the history of man kind through Gipseybridge Nursury?

Looking forward to your reply.

115-1093880813

yes, keen to offer a solution, but cost is currently more than preformed tiles, and would expect it to be

some more work to do on it then will come back to you with a proposal

hope OK

ro1877

Hi Simeon

Looking forward to hearing from you soon then. Thanks. The children are all desperate to get outside now the weather's good - so hope that we can get something sorted while summer is here.

Cheers,