linear drains

General banter, tradesmen, recommendations and warnings, surplus materials, humour and owt else!
65-1096814532

Hi Tony.
Hope you are well. I'm on a job at the moment and I need to install some linear drains. My local BM's only seem to stock the type with no fall incorporated. I can't use this type in this situation. My supplier has sourced some with a built in fall but it's £26 per metre. Sounds like a rip off to me! Is that a fair price? Do you know where I might try in Surrey?
Cheers Alan

TonyMcC
Site Admin

Why is a standard flat linear drain not suitable? The linear drains with in-built falls are intended for draining relatively large areas, such as car parks: if the size of your project is less than 150m², then you can get away with using a standard flat linear drain and rely on gravity to help them channel accumulated surface water towards the disposal point.

If you lay a linear drain so that it's dead flat, but with the pavement falling towards it, as water flows in, it will build a 'head' and cause all the water in the channel to find the lowest possible level, which means it will force itself into the outlet. This works fine on lengths of 10m or so.

However, if you simply must have the in-built fall types, have you tried WT Burdens in Fareham or Seccombes in Croydon?

65-1096814532

Blimey that was quick! Top service yet again. I only need about 7 or 8 mt. of drain, I didn't realise that you could install it flat. I need to maintain a level along the run of the drain so as not to mess up the falls. What you say makes sense when you think about it, just didn't occur to me at the time.
Thanks again.
Alan

TonyMcC
Site Admin

We aim to please! :) Ack Shirley, yer just lucky. The Reichskinder & Mrs Taz chucked in to buy me a dead fancy mobile that enables me to answer Q's while I'm on the move. I'm in MK right now, collecting my youngest from da Eminemineminem Recital. Amazin', eh!