Retaining wall

Other groundworks tasks, such as roads and footpaths, terracing, fencing, foundations, walls and brickwork, tools and plant.
michaelthegardener

im wanting to build a 8m long 600 high going to use blocks laid flat but im unsure on the depth and width i need for the footings ive been quoted 650 to have this done as well as the drive for 2750 ( ive allready got the blocks) 40 square meters but while the price for the drive seams ok 650 for the wall seams low to me but to be honest ive not got a clue !

Tony McC
Site Admin

As a rough guide to footing width, you want, as a minimum, width of wall + 100mm to each side.

So, a 25mm (double skin) brick wall would need a footing of...

100 + 225 + 100 = 425mm. which we would typically excavate at 450mm width minimum.

8m wall @ 600mm height (is this overall haight or height above ground?) - 4.8m²

4.8m² of wall for 650 quid equates to 135 quid/m² which a little bit on the cheap side, but it all very much depends on where you are in the country, what brick/block is to be used, and what the site access is like.
Site Agent - Pavingexpert

michaelthegardener

thanks for that im in bristol its 600 overall not a great deal of hight difference really but its got to hold my drive an the van up :D access is very easy and i just want a rectangle of paving laid nothing fancy i can allways re do it myself one day its the main dig out and stone up id struggle with