Temporary depositing of spoil

Other groundworks tasks, such as roads and footpaths, terracing, fencing, foundations, walls and brickwork, tools and plant.
Forestboy1978

Hello gents.

I'm doing some landscaping next week and to avoid blocking a private drive I was thinking of laying ply boards down and positioning approx 15 tons of spoil on them in a nearby grass area. Its will be there for 4 - 24 hours max until grab picks it up.

Is this allowed?

Thanks

dig dug dan

Who owns the grass area?
Dan the Crusher Man
01442 212315
www.crusherhire.co.uk
"a satisfied customer? we should have them stuffed!"

Forestboy1978

The council

dig dug dan

Dont bother without permission. You will get done for flytipping.
Dan the Crusher Man
01442 212315
www.crusherhire.co.uk

Forestboy1978

Yeah I was thinking along those lines. It's not worth it. I'll figure another way.

dig dug dan

Forestboy1978 wrote:Yeah I was thinking along those lines. It's not worth it. I'll figure another way.
Ask permission first, you may be in luck
Dan the Crusher Man
01442 212315
www.crusherhire.co.uk

Dave_L
Site Admin

You'll be needing to apply for a Section 171 Licence to deposit building materials upon the Public Highway. Together with the appropriate signing lighting and guarding. S171 here is £250
RW Gale Ltd - Civils & Surfacing Contractors based in Somerset

See what we get up to Our Facebook page

Tony McC
Site Admin

I wonder how strictly that is enforced?

Back in the mists of time when I was actively contracting, some local authorities would prosecute if you didn't obtain a skip permit before plonking one on the highway, while others just wanted a couple of cones around it, and yet others couldn't have cared less.

One particular 'borough' where we carried out lots of driveway/patio works (as opposed to civils and highways works) eventually issued us with a 'blanket' licence for any skip or materials to be placed on a highway, as long as it was safe/complied with requirements, mainly to save them the paperwork of manually filling out two or three near-identical application forms each week. I thought that was a great move on their part and greatly appreciated it.

While skips were always a potential problem, the short term, temporary storage of building materials was never much of an issue. I know other contractors got their arse kicked owhen there was any mess left behind or a surface got damaged, but, generally speaking, as long as you behaved yourself and left things as you found them, there was a sort of laissez-faire approach which worked reasonably well.
Site Agent - Pavingexpert

Dave_L
Site Admin

To the contrary Tony, Streetworks departments are actively issuing fines for contraventions down around here. Even core testing crossovers!!!!!!

Tony McC
Site Admin

I wish they were like that around here! All too often I drive past 'abominations' where unliveried white vans seem to be doing whatever they like with no supervision or oversight whatsoever from teh local authority.

As I type this, I can see from my office window a driveway being crudely dug up, with vans blocking the public footpath forcing pedestrians onto the cariageway, and spoil being dumped on the road surface for, I assume, later collection by a grab wagon. The chances of the local council saying or doing anything? Nil!

dig dug dan

Round here, one householder dug up their front hedge, and extended their boundary out by 3m, then tarmacked over r
The claimed ground and made a bigger driveway.
It was reported to highways, who wrote to the householder on three occasions, each letter getting, or strongly worded, each ignored by the householder.
They have now been out and spray marked it all for reinstatement, and will be charging the householder to put it right!
Dan the Crusher Man
01442 212315
www.crusherhire.co.uk

MRRB

dig dug dan wrote:Round here, one householder dug up their front hedge, and extended their boundary out by 3m, then tarmacked over r
The claimed ground and made a bigger driveway.
It was reported to highways, who wrote to the householder on three occasions, each letter getting, or strongly worded, each ignored by the householder.
They have now been out and spray marked it all for reinstatement, and will be charging the householder to put it right!

I thought you might like to see this which I spotted a while ago. It's not there any more, by the way... an ambitious and fairly expensive mistake-a to make-a...

https://ibb.co/6RL6YJC

Bother. Sorry, not sure how to post images so that they show up in the post.

Tony McC
Site Admin

Apologies for being late to this - had all sorts of health issues with angina during the heatwave and now an arthritic knee that is driving me mad with pain.

I wonder how they've managed to get away with that!

Dave_L
Site Admin

Our local authority actively pursuing statutory undertakers in breach of correct road licences/chapter 8.....

Wessex water fined

msh paving
Site Admin

very little enforcement around hear, i always put block paving on foot path with barriers, never had a issue,
paving, mini-crusher, mini-digger hire and groundwork
http://mshpaving.co.uk