How to protect exposed pipe from sub base?

Other groundworks tasks, such as roads and footpaths, terracing, fencing, foundations, walls and brickwork, tools and plant.
DIY Tom

Hi. I have an exposed pipe (water, I think). Next step is to lay type 1 and then compact it down... so I'm guessing I need to protect that pipe somehow. Any advice or tips?

Should I surround it with concrete? Or lay sharp sand all over/around it? Or something else?

digerjones

Yes put sand around it. It really wants replacing with plastic
dylan

DIY Tom

Cheers. I had the same thoughts about replacing. I checked with the water company and they say it's my responsibility, so will speak to plumber mates.

digerjones

Water company will connect for free.
Dig a trench 750mm deep. Biggest job is always getting it into the house.
If you cut through your metal pipe it will be rusted up very much.
dylan

Bob_A

Could it be a gas pipe my one looks like that and it rusted so much it leaked (my water pipe is lead)
The gas board came round and as it was only a couple of inches below the surface I asked them to bury a new one deeper. They wouldn't do it instead they ran a plastic inside the rusted pipe instead. I got them me to write a letter saying that the work they had done was safe which is not much use other than I can produce it if there's queries at a later date.

DIY Tom

Bob, I think you may be right that it is gas. I've spoken to plumber mates and they think it is gas as it's nowhere near deep enough to be water (although they did say that anything can happen...).

I will see if I can get hold of the gas board to see what they say. TBH, this is holding the project up big time!

Bob_A

I actually reported my pipe as leaking and they came around pronto and done it there and then.
If it's holding you up you could do the same, tell them that you're not sure, it may be your imagination but occasionally you smell something that could be gas, that should get them round.

MRRB

Can't you trace it and see where it goes? You could maybe hire a CAT for £25.