Spec help - renewal of steep concrete drive

Other groundworks tasks, such as roads and footpaths, terracing, fencing, foundations, walls and brickwork, tools and plant.
NebsWales

Please can I have some advice on writing a spec for estimates regarding my driveway?

I have a driveway leading down from the road. The concrete surface is spalling in some areas with some cracks. I would also like to put some steps to the side. On materials, I am thinking taramac will be better than concrete given the gradient.

Does existing drive surface need to be removed or can it be made good for a top coat?

Also as non SUV cars ground at top, I would like to see what can be done to alleviate the hump at the top.

Tony McC
Site Admin

If you opt for blacktop, it *may* be possible to overaly the existing, but that's a decision that can only be taken once the existing surface has been assessed. Further, blacktop on a "steep" slope can be tricky unless done by a genuinely competent contractor....mind you, concrete on a slope is no tickle of a job, either!

Steps, being awkward sods, are very difficult to construct using blacktop - you'll need to consider an alternative and modular paving is the simplest option (so: flag-and-brick or block paver steps).

To eliminate a hump and thereby prevent grounding, a site survey of surface levels is needed. That's the only sure way to determine how much can be shaved off to ease the hump - the usual guidance is nothing more than 150mm over a 3m span.

In short, without assessing the site, it's impossible to provide you with anything other than generic phrases. For a worthwhile spec, a designber or engineer needs to be familiar with teh site and it's environment.
Site Agent - Pavingexpert