Victorian edging - Butt joints ??

Other groundworks tasks, such as roads and footpaths, terracing, fencing, foundations, walls and brickwork, tools and plant.
Markyb7

Good morning !

I have just finished a small pathway using Rochester brick sett slabs and some reclaimed roll top Victorian Edging supplied by the customer.

Orientation and layout of edging was done to customers request and is not what I would have preferred to have done (not sure how to post a photo using a weblink) but is all haunched and fixed well onto a dry-ish sand cement base.

All went well until customer came home and asked what I was going to insert into the gaps in the Edging where they butted up to each other. I said "nothing" as my understanding of these edgings (and on the half dozen times I've fitted them before) is that they just butt up to each other.

The customer is ADAMANT that this will encourage weed growth and that the gap will destroy the edgings through freeze/thaw in winter. Nothing I can say to him will dissuade him - and I haven't been paid....

Am I wrong ?????? Should these be pointed/grouted ? And if so is there anything I can use to satisfy this customer ? I have no wish to remove everything and re-set as per customers wishes.

Thanks
Mark

jwill

I can't remember ever seeing these jointed before. Ask your customer why freeze-thaw doesn't ruin a road kerb.

country boy

Search google for roll top Victorian Edging images print off some and show customer, have never seen them pointed ever, is there any evidence of mortar on the sides,could water pool on footpath if gaps filled in?.
Jim

MrT

As with others, never seen these jointed before. Would be interested to know the reasoning the customer gives. Keep us updated.
Plumber

Tony McC
Site Admin

That type of edging does not need jointing. They are intended to be laid close jointed (not butt-jointed) with a 2-5mm gap between adjacent units.

You *could* mortar joint them, but it does NOT make for a better construction and it most definitely does not make the slightest bit of difference to any problems with freeze-thaw.

Tell you client that, following extensive research, you've been advised that the "going rate" for mortar jointing of such edgings is 25 quid per joint.....plus VAT of course! :D
Site Agent - Pavingexpert