Newbie diy diving in the deep end - Diy raised garden and block paving proje

Other groundworks tasks, such as roads and footpaths, terracing, fencing, foundations, walls and brickwork, tools and plant.
Daggaz

Hello guys
so my garden is dingy boring and not appealing at all and to top it off it slopes.
so i have set out to make it hopefully spectacular.....
any way its an L shaped garden the long bit of the L is 15m long and the short bit 12M i have a garage at the side of the garden that is single brick i want to raise that bit level so from the other bit the patio
u would step up to the long bit that would be turfed. i am building a 825mm wall double skinned wall with founds 55mm deep this will be tied into the garage wall that is single brick but i originally planned on just backing the earth up against the wall but then i got thinking about weight so should i ad another skin to it before back filling ? i will be adding perforated pipe for drainage the DPC is quite high and would cover most of the raised earth but some would go over it, with sufficient drainage would that still be OK?

and for a patio question as my garden slops I would like to raise the patio level by 2 standard brick height.
now most of this area already has a concrete patio on it but its groggy and not very pleasant although it is solid could i just add a sharp sand cement for the mortar layer or would that depth be to much ? it has drains and i don't fancy digging that up as its rather thick although i would need to raise the man hole and the other bit that has turf on i would obviously dig out and do the necessary layering to raise that side up.

hope that makes sense i have tried to add pics but its only letting me use web page images for some reason

regards

jwill

For the wall have a look into those interlocking blocks. Come with a decorative face and seem quite a simple system. They lay dry and just on a compacted stone foundation I think. Various paving manufacturers do them.

Do you mean new depth of patio will be 150mm higher less slabs? Sounds a lot of work making a bed that deep!

seanandruby
Site Admin

I suggest you sit and have a good read of the main index especially dpc articles . Breaching the dpc is a definite no no. Paving over an existing surface can end up breaching the dpc. Maybe you could post some photo's to give a clearer picture. If it's hard work your trying to avoid then this task is not for you, you need to be prepared to take it on. "Spectacular" can only be achieved with blood, sweat and tears. What is your location?
sean

Daggaz

Hi
even raising the ground at that depth its still lower than the DPC, my garden is quite low.

how do i add photos ? the only images its letting me upload are from url internet link.

due to a change in plans i am now going to break the concrete up and lay a patio how it should be done.

the wall i was originally going to build would of been higher than the 300mm raised level allowance and my waist would have been at the top of my fence, backing onto a cut someone will complain.

Tony McC
Site Admin

If you send photies to me (tony at name-of-website), I'll upload them for you.
Site Agent - Pavingexpert