Asked to quote for a very large job

Other groundworks tasks, such as roads and footpaths, terracing, fencing, foundations, walls and brickwork, tools and plant.
Forestboy1978

OK so I got contacted by a company to do a few bit of fencing over their housing areas. A big nationwide company. Quote was accepted.

They've now asked me to quote for providing and installing mulch over 300 homes and plant 500 beach whips.

They've provided conveyancing plans and would like a quote ASAP.

WTF.... it never rains but it pours. Also from running out of work I've had 2 call per day recently. Unbelievable.

dig dug dan

One thing I have learnt over the years is never panic about the qty of work coming in. Even if you think you have run out, the phone will ring and it will pick up again!
Dan the Crusher Man
01442 212315
www.crusherhire.co.uk
"a satisfied customer? we should have them stuffed!"

Forestboy1978

Normally I wouldn't Dan but I had a brutal winter with low earning and high spending which ofc is not the best combination. Sooo quiet. I started to think the phone wasn't going to start ringing again.

rxbren

mine starting to get a bit busier although seems to be mostly wasters people seem to think that your going to supply machinery and fuel for nothing

lemoncurd1702

Forest,
They want a quote ASAP so you provide it and they award it to you but don't give you a start date, then call you mid June when you're already flat out.
Or they are using your quote to thumbscrew their existing contractors more than likely.

The hoops you will have to jump through to be accepted - constructionline, chas, £0,000 bond - etc are not worth it and will stress your arse off.
Cheers
Lemoncurd

Forestboy1978

Lemon they want it started mid March and I know who their contractors are. I did my research and happen to know them well. They are ultra expensive. Literally silly silly money. I think they're looking around for another company that they can rely on but wont be charging the earth. I'm going to quote it. I'm going to over estimate it. And I have already found somewhere for the odd 10 tons of spare mulch if I need to ;-)

dig dug dan

lemoncurd1702 wrote:Forest,
They want a quote ASAP so you provide it and they award it to you but don't give you a start date, then call you mid June when you're already flat out.
Or they are using your quote to thumbscrew their existing contractors more than likely.

The hoops you will have to jump through to be accepted - constructionline, chas, £0,000 bond - etc are not worth it and will stress your arse off.
Once the house is constructed, any external landscaping works do not fall under any of that. I know as I do a lot of work for house builders.
at worse, they pay you two months down the line
Dan the Crusher Man
01442 212315
www.crusherhire.co.uk

rxbren

depends on the company but worth checking ahead of time that you dont need to be a member of any of the chas or other schemes.
I was offered a fair bit of work a couple of years ago for a warehouse as their current builder was too dear with all the hoops to jump through and paperwork that legally wasnt needed till you have x amount of employees plus the registration fees and yearly fees it just wasnt worth the hassle for a one month job

dig dug dan

All this paper shuffling is costing thousands and for what?
I was at a dyer and butler yard yesterday, and they had various notices of accidents up on their wall. One was a brickie who fell off a step and hurt his leg.
turned out he used a shortcut, and not the proper way to the workface, but it still has to be recorded and reported. How can you legislate against stupidity?
They now have a " near accident" reporting system, so you fill in a report card if you witnessed a near accident. examples include " I reached over the side of the ladder, but luckily it didnt move" and " I nearly tripped up the kerb, but saw it just in time"
it really is getting stupid
Dan the Crusher Man
01442 212315
www.crusherhire.co.uk

rxbren

Part of the problem is so.eplaces have to have reports no matter how trivial. Just so somebody can get paid to walk around with a clipboard giving points fr this that and the other