Laying kerbs - Concrete query

Other groundworks tasks, such as roads and footpaths, terracing, fencing, foundations, walls and brickwork, tools and plant.
rooskey

Good afternoon,

I am looking at getting a contractor to lay some kerbs/edges (prob 915x50x150) and setting in concrete. This is for a private road with light use which i am hoping to tarmac.

In total, I may have approx 60 linear metres to lay. I note that the pavingexpert pages recommend the use of different concrete types (C7.5 and C20) for bedding and haunching.

Is this necessary and how is this practically managed if ordering in a minitruck of concrete (where only one type of concrete gets delivered)

Is there a mix and sump that will serve the purpose of bed and haunch?

Kind regards
Peter
peter

seanandruby
Site Admin

Just go for c20 semi dry. Lay your kerbs and then mix the remainder with water for haunching. We usually lay as many kerbs as we can then knock up more with a 360 for backing up. Wouldn't be viable for you to have two mixes.
sean

Captain Concrete

You can do that but its not best practice, we would get a volley to deliver the c20 semi dry and the change mix design to c30 s1 slump both with a 12 hour retarder and then you have both the mixes you require.
Been in concreting for 22 years

Dave_L
Site Admin

Depends how quickly you can lay the kerbs. I'm guessing it's all pinned up ready to go, that's not much more than four or so hours work for an inexperienced guy straight running.

I'd have 3.5m3 of C20 on a 30 slump (I prefer it in a 10mm aggregate...) dropped for the whole job. I take it you have an excavator to handle the concrete?
RW Gale Ltd - Civils & Surfacing Contractors based in Somerset

See what we get up to Our Facebook page