Workshop base

Other groundworks tasks, such as roads and footpaths, terracing, fencing, foundations, walls and brickwork, tools and plant.
michaelthegardener

im going to be getting a wooden log cabin style workshop soon as ive got the time to get on with it :D but im unsure if id be able to do the base myself and also what spec it would need to be :p any help gratefully received its going to be approx. 3.5 x 7 m :)

seanandruby
Site Admin

Michael there is a complete guide on the index page under concrete bases ???
sean

michaelthegardener

yes ive seen that so I suppose my only real question is how thick should it be and do I need reinforcement :rock:

seanandruby
Site Admin

100 ml will be fine with a single layer of mesh.
sean

rxbren

Depends whats going in the workshop if yoru putting a car in i would go 150mm with the concrete

Tony McC
Site Admin

The last drawing in this section shows a standard shed base construction.
Site Agent - Pavingexpert

michaelthegardener

well this has ground to a halt im sorry to say work got in the way so ive only jut got the old shed cleared now ive got to get it taken away ( asbestos ) but I was thinking do you think block paving would do the job to be honest the thought of concrete scares me a bit not something ive done on that scale and not exactly forgiving is it if I fook up ! also ive seen some blocks on ebay :D

rxbren

If its has ita own floor you could always run 3 rows of brick or blocks as a footing to build off of

michaelthegardener

not going to have a floor that's extra :D

seanandruby
Site Admin

michaelthegardener wrote:well this has ground to a halt im sorry to say work got in the way so ive only jut got the old shed cleared now ive got to get it taken away ( asbestos ) but I was thinking do you think block paving would do the job to be honest the thought of concrete scares me a bit not something ive done on that scale and not exactly forgiving is it if I fook up ! also ive seen some blocks on ebay :D
if it is existing block paving then you are half way there if the existing sub base is sound. i'd do away with the blocks and put in a slab Michael. I wouldn't think concreting to be above your capabilities :)
sean

rxbren

Concrete slab would be best ideally you want the timber above the surrounding ground are you raising the slab up or running course of brick/block for it to sit on? If its just a flat concrete slab make sure you have the cladding or a flashing/drip tray over the side if the concrete base to send the water away from the workshop

michaelthegardener

all that is there is the old cracked 1974 concrete I know concrete would be best but was thinking ive done a bit of block paving before but not concrete on this scale

rxbren

Concrete os fairly straight forward build your shutter, fill it, tamp it drag the excess off then finish how ever you want
Depends on the type of finish your after id it was me id do a float finish so its smooth to stand on and easy to brush clean.
I suppose it would all come down to cost and wether you can get someone to help you as for the concrete pad if its 150mm deep your looking around 4m3 of concrete (get it delivered instead of mixing it by hand) so a fair bit of barrowing

lutonlagerlout
Site Admin

Michael RX is right
blockpaving will cost you money long term

we did a 4m3 oversite friday 3 barrowing and me levelling it took us 90minutes

however the concrete cost £600 +vat

but a 150 mm deep slab will last the course
LLL :)
"what,you want paying today??"

YOUR TEXT GOES HERE

michaelthegardener

ok so if it all goes wrong ill blame you lot !:D im a bugger for ebay and that's where I saw some cheap blocks :D the workshops costing me 3350 quid so I know youre all right about needing the best base not spending all that for it to sink :0

One last question though on the main site it says Maximum size approx 6m x 3m. Should NOT exceed 20m² so what do I do about that ?