Level thresholds

Other groundworks tasks, such as roads and footpaths, terracing, fencing, foundations, walls and brickwork, tools and plant.
JoelHall

The front path to our house is a level threshold. I asked the one of the site surveyors about this, and he said something about wheelchair access, building regs, etc.
Is this actually the reason? I ask because quite a few houses being built here have steps to the door, and frankly whoever though pur house needs wheelchair access obviously didn't bother looking at the plans - narrow hallway (you won't be manoeuvring into the kitchen with a wheelchair), three strories, two winding flights of stairs, which you wont be putting a stair lift in (unless plasterboard has magic weight bearing properties now). And of course the back door doesn't have it.

Also, are there any unexpected surprises if I was the change this?

lutonlagerlout
Site Admin

all new builds should have level access to at least 1 door
and all bathroom doors in flats should be wheelchair friendly
you could change it,but why?
LLL
"what,you want paying today??"

YOUR TEXT GOES HERE

r896neo

As Luton says its a requirement.

Most commonly on smaller developments as long as one entrance complies thats enough for the tick in the box.

In some scenarios where it is deemed impractical BC can oversail it and leave out the requirement i think certainly here in Northern ireland it is enforced very haphazardly with small new build schemes having a mix. Its like once they hit their quota of level thresholds in a scheme no-one cares about the rest.

As long as yuour property has been signed off completed their is nothing to stop you changing it.

Tony McC
Site Admin

Document M of the building regs - disabled access to dwellings. Costs nowt to download and gives a good, easy to follow explanation of what's required.
Site Agent - Pavingexpert

JoelHall

Thanks guys. Just seemed odd to have wheelchair access to a property which isn't wheelchair friendly. But if it's mandated, then that's fair enough. I'll download a copy of the document, thanks Tony.

LLL - it wasn't that I was intending to get rid of the level threshold, only that it has it's own issues - specifically the concrete haunching either side of the path. Concrete which is crumbling already. It's pretty unsightly, but any way I tried to cover would mean the ground level will be at maximum 5 mm below the damp course. Gravel isn't an option because it's such a steep angle for rain water to run off.

Any ideas of workarounds?;

JoelHall

Can't resize the image to fit on the forum, so here's a link:

http://i613.photobucket.com/albums....rpm.jpg

Tony McC
Site Admin

Just lay matching flags sloping away from the ramp to either side. I have a photie showing just that but I'm away from the office for a while and don't have access to my photie-library.

Surely someone has a photie of what it is I'm envisioning? It's a fairly common workaround on new-builds.
Site Agent - Pavingexpert

seanandruby
Site Admin

Do away with the cut slabs and put in 2 full slabs next to each other making the joint the centre of doorway. Slightly slope them on different directions for a slight fall. Make them checkers board rather than half bond.
sean

JoelHall

Cheers for the ideas guys :)