Boat slipway - Repairing a boat slipway

Other groundworks tasks, such as roads and footpaths, terracing, fencing, foundations, walls and brickwork, tools and plant.
cuthill76

Hi,

Not sure if this is an appropriate topic or not so apologies if it is not.

I am looking for some advice in regard to repairing an old boat slipway that I need to use.

The slipway is very old and was originally constructed from stones with mortar in between. It is now in poor shape and full of holes and in some places all of the render has disappeared.

After I tidy it up I am trying to decide what to do with the surface. I am not in a position to put piling around it and pump out the water as that would be a massive job and constructing a big slab out of the water and pushing it into place is not feasible as I do not have the plant machinery to move it.

As such I need to do this by hand so I was thinking I would either just repair it such like it was made or tidy it up and then try and put a screed on top.

Any thoughts?

Also any recommendations for what type concrete / cement to use? I have to take into account the tide and I shall need to do this on a really low tide (probably several) but even then it shall get covered quickly.

Thanks,
Iain
Iain

lemoncurd1702

Tricky one really. Best use something like "mastercrete extra rapid" on a calm day.
The sea can be a right bitch though so don't expect anything you do to last forever.
Cheers
Lemoncurd

cuthill76

Yeh I know it is going to be a right pig but it just needs to be functional, not looking for any design awards!

Cheers for the pointers.
Iain

r896neo

Make sure you get extra rapid cement out of the mixer quickly. I was caught out by just how rapid my first ever gauge of it was....

half an hour later, red faced and mixer scraped out i have not made the mistake again.