Repairs to a ford - Repairs to a ford

Other groundworks tasks, such as roads and footpaths, terracing, fencing, foundations, walls and brickwork, tools and plant.
Ford

What material should I use for the approach slopes in and out of a ford?

The path either side of the ford is an unmade road in a rural location providing domestic traffic access only. It is originally a cinder path and has been repaired with brick rubble over the years. For aesthetic reasons we don’t want to have concrete slab slopes. The slopes need to be about 1 car’s width wide and 2.5 metres in length (at a 20% gradient). The water flow is consistent and would not be flooding up the slopes.

A more lasting repair is required as the current approach slopes have been repaired with brick rubble and are at far too steep a gradient resulting in quick erosion.

As well as the choice for material for the slope I understand that at the point where the slope meets the water there should ideally be some “keystones� to retain the material on the slope and be a more-erosion resistant material in permanent contact with the water. What are your thoughts on how deep these should be (I’ve read around 300mm) and what type of blocks would be suitable?

I’m down in Sussex and am thinking this would be a self-do project over a weekend with the help of a mini-excavator to re-profile the approach slope. So I’m not equipped to move around very heavy concrete beams etc.

Many thanks for any advice you can provide.

cookiewales

Use random granite setts big ones there used in lots of seaside towns boat ramps into sea
Originalstonepaving.com

The very best in natural stone paving in new and reclaimed materials
M: 07968 582231

seanandruby
Site Admin

The fact that you are having to keep repairing should tell you a more solid path is needed.
Cookies idea is sound. And aesthetically pleading on the eye. Any photos'?
sean

Ford

Thank you both for your comments! I'll try and work out if I have a web area to link a photo to over the weekend.

The setts will clearly give a good long-term solution. Any hints on the kind of places to source them from?

For a lower-skill requirement option what do you think of a line of sets at the point that meets the water and having something like type 1 sub-base for the rest of the slope?

seanandruby
Site Admin

You can find reclaimed setts in most salvage yards, or new ones at builders merchants, there are several down your way in west sussex. Think Cookie meant do the lot in setts as anything loose is liable to erode on a slope especially with water off the tyres, feet etc:
sean