Rebar in retaining wall

Other groundworks tasks, such as roads and footpaths, terracing, fencing, foundations, walls and brickwork, tools and plant.
CharLou

I'm pretty sure I know what the replies I'm likely to get will be but I'll ask anyway.

We're in the process of building our below ground garage. The wall construction is/'will be' block & block with a concrete cavity. The cavity also includes two layers of A393. (100mm + 150mm + 100mm).

Because the structure is below ground both inner & outer block skins must be built from the inside, much to the bricky's delight.

The issue is that we're not sure how to apply the steel mesh. Let me explain...

The outer skin needs to be built first so that we can attach the mesh. Then the inner skin can be built. We can't build both skins at the same time because we can't install the mesh. If the mesh goes in before the outer skins is finished the bricky won't be able to lay his blocks.

The original plan was to build the outer skin (complete with brick ties, install and tie the mesh, then build the inner skin.

Clearly there's the potential of the mesh pulling over the outer skin. But maybe the outer skin will hold the mesh long enough to build the inner skin. Thoughts?

The obvious workaround is to cut the mesh in to shorter sizes allowing us to construct the complete bottom half of the wall then start the top half lapping the top & bottom mesh layers.

The preference would be to use use complete 2.4M (height) mesh sheets as it'll be quicker, cheaper and simpler.

I appreciate this is a dumb question, but maybe someone has a bright idea which we haven't thought of.

Cheers
CharLou

msh paving
Site Admin

build outer first, put mesh up to it and build innner, no problem we did a coastal flood wall 15m long 2 m high, using a393 between courses, no problems we had 2.4x4.8m sheets MSH :)
paving, mini-crusher, mini-digger hire and groundwork
http://mshpaving.co.uk

lutonlagerlout
Site Admin

I take it the outer skin will have wall ties?
as Mark said build that first,attach your mesh to the wallties then build inner skin
bread and butter stuff for brickies
LLL
"what,you want paying today??"

YOUR TEXT GOES HERE

CharLou

This is really reassuring, thanks. It just seems like too much weight for the outer skin to handle.

..but we'll go with your experiences. Much appreciated.
CharLou

rxbren

maybe a bit late but the last time we did walls for basements we used the hollow blocks with rows of vertical and horizontal rebar which was then filled with foam concrete although to use that system we had rebar in the concrete slab with rebar uprights positioned to sit inside the hollow block to tie onto

CharLou

Just wanted to provide a quick update:

As per the suggestions above, outer walls were built first, mesh applied (x2), inner walls then built.
Outer walls were completely solid and held firm whilst mesh was installed.

No drama's at all in fact. Thanks for the advice.
CharLou