Retaining gravel on sloping driveways - Methods for stopping gravel from sliding

Other groundworks tasks, such as roads and footpaths, terracing, fencing, foundations, walls and brickwork, tools and plant.
heather

We live on a steep Welsh hillside, and use gravel drives; partly to prevent us sliding in ice and snow, and partly so that I can hear possible intruders at night.

Having regraded the driveways to make more consistent slopes, we want to relay gravel, and are considering using some form of mechanism to stop the gravel sliding downhill.

Can you point me to the part of your site which might discuss this? The drives are used for both pedestrian and vehicular access.
HF

Captain Concrete

I am afraid there is not much you can do, the gravel will always want to head down the hill, expensive but concrete and tamp?
Been in concreting for 22 years

mike builder/landscaper

Jewsons sell a concrete lawn saver type block, they could be filled with gravel no problem, but they arnt cheap
m.atkinson

Tony McC
Site Admin

The cellular paving systems are what you need...like this...but they need thorough preparation and, on a gradient of any significance, they need to be anchored through the sub-base.
Site Agent - Pavingexpert

Edgar

I'm no expert on this kind of thing but I have seen, at a wildlife reserve on Walney Island, a car park made using metal grids filled with stones.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rY_UcEM7nNc shows the kind of thing. At Walney it was basically flat rather than on a slope but the film seems to show it works on slopes too. I've no idea who makes the grids or how costly they are but I doubt the Wildlife trusts have much money to spend on car parks.

Edgar