External rendering thoughts

Other groundworks tasks, such as roads and footpaths, terracing, fencing, foundations, walls and brickwork, tools and plant.
nry

Hello again all, given the mass of knowledge you parted with when we had our garden landscaped, I though some of you may have some opinions on external rendering :)

We are looking to get our 1960's end terrace rendered on all 3 sides, we have a gable end which gets the weather and the 55 years of paint just can't hack it and we want something that won't need painted.

So far we have one contractor suggesting K-Rend which I have seen locally on a job they have done before. It did look good, very well finished, however he doesn't seem to wish to remove the old paint.

Another company is open to our choice of finish, they seem to prefer Tirolean or a spar-based dry dash - again, both look very good with the right choice of stone for the dry dash.

A few other properties in our close are dashed but they are the old dull grey colour, there are some really lovely colour options though we don't want anything beyond subtle.

This second company would look to take the old paint back to check the pointing is OK.

Both companies have mentioned the stainless steel meshing, stainless steel fixings and also plastic edging beads to get the best finish.

Has anyone got any things we should consider or ask about? We want this done right so if it costs more then so be it :)

Ta :)

rxbren

One important question is how long they guarantee there work I've seen render fail on new build properties (literally just finished buildings) within weeks of being put on, which then took weeks to sort due to house builders and renderers not accepting it to be there fault

nry

Actually one chap did mention 10 year guarantee, thanks, I'll be sure to ask them all!

r896neo

K rend can get very grotty very quickly if its at all shaded or have trees nearby.

Well applied Tyrolean would be a much harder longer lasting finish but would really need painted unless your happy with the grey.

I would sooner get tyrolean or a dash of some sort than k-rend, mono-couche had loads of advantages for the contractor and very few for the homeowner in my opinion.

nry

I have seen plenty of horror stories for K-Rend, our property sides don't suffer from any shade or trees and the current paint doesn't seem to suffer.

I think a dry dash is how we may well end up, thanks :)