Raised patio construction - Sources?

Other groundworks tasks, such as roads and footpaths, terracing, fencing, foundations, walls and brickwork, tools and plant.
Paverman Dan

Tony,

I'm trying to dig up as much info on raised patio construction as possible. In my possession I have a fine article from one of last year's ICPI magazines, as well as some information from various US manufacturers, though it seems to be mostly step construction.

Forgive me if you have a section on the site, but I have not found anything except a few very helpful archived forum posts.

Is there anywhere else on the Internet or a manufacturer or trade group that produces quality reading on this subject.

PAVERMAN DAN

Edited By Paverman Dan on 1137626522

Tony McC
Site Admin

Can you explain what you mean by a raised patio, Dan? Do you mean one standing proud of the surrounding ground?
Site Agent - Pavingexpert

Paverman Dan

Tony

I mean an interlocking concrete pavement butting against an existing structure, raised above the existing existing grade by a block retaining wall.

Something that might look a little like this

Sadly, I need to have the info by 6:15 am EST Thur 2/9, but if you catch this and have any links that can point me in the right direction in the wee hours of the morn it would be greatly appreciated! :)

DAN

Tony McC
Site Admin

I've no idea what EST is, or what time 6:15am is in UK/Ireland, so if this is too late, sorry!

Construction is essentially as per normal excpet you need to...

1 - consider how the build-up will be drained - will it be weepholes in the retainer wall or a waffle drain?

2 - build-up your sub-base is distinct layers, each being no more than 225mm (verily 9 of your olde worlde inches) and fully compacted before pacing subsequent layers.

3 - you might be able to use a lower grade of fill material for the lowest build-up layers, and save the good stuff for the final layer.

...we wouldn't be allowed to build a structure such as you've shown - the drop from the edge is more than allowed - there's have to be a railing or low wall if that was built to a public property in Britain or Ireland!
Site Agent - Pavingexpert