Fence dimensions?

Other groundworks tasks, such as roads and footpaths, terracing, fencing, foundations, walls and brickwork, tools and plant.
mattrgee

I've got 9 metres of fence to erect, wondered if there was a rule of thumb for post, rail and board dimensions?

For instance,

For the posts I was going to try and get hold of 5x5" in 9' lengths, 3' below ground and 6' above. (its very windy where I live).

For the rails I was thinking of using 1"x4" in the appropriate lengths, with 3 rails between posts.

For the boards I was thinking of 1/2"x3" spaced 1" apart.

Are 3 rails between posts too many or not enough? Should I be using thicker/wider boards?

What dimensions have people used in the past that have proved successful and hardwearing?

The timber merchants will tanalise all my timber for an extra 20% and 'vac vac' for 25%. Whats 'vac vac'? I'm guessing its some sort of pressure treatment but not sure.

Sorry guys, here's me with a million and one questions, any help appreciated.

Thanks in advance :)

Tool

You need to be using 3" x 2" Tan timber for you rails and you are right to use 3 rails per post.

good luck with your fence and remmeber its 1.8m centres between posts

mattrgee

Looks like I'll be using 4x4 posts as thats the biggest the timber merchants do, but I'm sure they'll be more than sufficient.

How should the rails be fixed to the posts? Can they simply be nailed to the face of each post? Or should a slot be chiselled into each post? I don't feel particually confident about the latter, whats the next best thing?

steve r
Site Admin

The strongest fence has a morticed post that the rail fits into,
this is normally machined out at the suppliers, but is also the most expensive.
I am currently erecting 150 metre of 2 rail post and rail fence,
the posts are 125mm x 75mm (5 x3) x 1.8m (6'), the rails are 100mm (4") x 38mm (1.5") x 3.6m (12' 6").
A post is fitted every 1.8m (6' 3") into a hole that is 600mm (2') deep. The joints on the rails should be staggered, so when starting from the first post fit 1 full length rail and the other should be cut in half to 1.8m.
There are plenty of fencing material suppliers around that can supply your fence already pressure treated and guaranteed against rot.
Steve Rogers

mattrgee

Thanks for the help, and sorry for a somewhat late reply.

One last question, I was planning on using 12mm (half inch) thick boards, are these thick enough?

Thanks again.

steve r
Site Admin

I think you've gone metric, well done.
I would suggest 150mm x 19mm for your boards.
Steve Rogers