Soakaways in clay soil - ...they don't work

Foul and surface water, private drains and public sewers, land drains and soakaways, filter drains and any other ways of getting rid of water.
Forestboy1978

4 aquacells per 16m2 sounds like an outrageous amount. That works out in the thousands for even an average size drive way!

msh paving
Site Admin

lutonlagerlout wrote:the latest craic in luton from his holiness the chief BCO is that you shall have 4 aquacells for every 16m2 of roof or drive
he must have shares in that company
when i pointed out that our 3 M3 hole had 300mm of water in it i was told "just do it"
I think the water just fills up to topsoil level then filters through the topsoil
waste of time
LLL
ps and money
i think he has very little to say about that, he is not qualified to design a soakaway, its down to structral engineer to state that after a perculation test,
We still use clean rubble round hear have done for years, odd time we need crates but vary rare MSH :)
paving, mini-crusher, mini-digger hire and groundwork
http://mshpaving.co.uk

lutonlagerlout
Site Admin

they can and do enforce it mark
i have tried the "we have used rubble for years" but they are adamant 16m2 = 4 aqua cells,mainly for roofs
problem is ,its part of the inspection so theres no getting away from it,you do it or the job fails
LLL
"what,you want paying today??"

YOUR TEXT GOES HERE

msh paving
Site Admin

I'v e one to do in a couple off weeks ,ill need aprox 10 cells on that calc. phew... good job its dayworkish.... :)

lutonlagerlout
Site Admin

thing is building regs should be exactly the same in kings lynn ,bolton,luton and gatwick
but each and every department interpret it in their own way
I have to say on the whole the BCO in luton are hard but fair,and i dont mind doing stuff if everyone else has to do it
that last 3 m3 soakaway cost £1200
:O
LLL

YOUR TEXT GOES HERE

PavingSuperstore

What's the best option in this situation. Sewage treatment plant in place with Environment Agency approval to empty treated water into natural pond. Natural clay lined pond became black and smelly, so outlet pipe was extended to go to huge (approx. 144m3) soak away filled with rubble and gravel. Drainage pipe was used en route covered with matting and shingle etc to try and disperse some of the water on the way. Area became mushy and smelly and pipe was dug up again and has now been extended further. It is currently sitting on top of the ground and the area fenced off, but the area is like a boggy marsh. The ground is clay, so drainage is far from good, but wherever the pipe is laid the water just doesn't soak away. Was thinking of using underground drainage tanks with holes for dispersion, but thought there could be a build up of gases which may cause a problem. If the water was a slow trickle it wouldn't be so bad, but when the treatment plant empties, it pumps for about 20 minutes. What's the answer?

lutonlagerlout
Site Admin

when you say treatment plant do you mean a proper one or a klargester type tank?
big problem is folk move into a house that has had a septic tank for years that has never been emptied

the bacteria do all the work and the main tank is full of compost naturally breaking down

new people move in and start using bleach,and biological washing powders,this kills the bacteria and the outflow water suddenly stinks

flowjoe may have a better idea than me about all this

cheers LLL

YOUR TEXT GOES HERE

PavingSuperstore

It's a Balmoral cap 12 pumped system - it has an inner and outer chamber. The outer chamber has to be desludged each year and the the bubble diffuser in the inner chamber breaks down the solids leaving the liquid at the surface for pumping out when the level reaches the float switch. Have always used bleach and biological washing powders so would have thought the bacteria would be used to it by now.

lutonlagerlout
Site Admin

it kills them
it sounds similar to a klargester " bulb type"
have you thought about harvesting certain waste-water and just letting the loos go into the tank?
cheers LLL

YOUR TEXT GOES HERE

msh paving
Site Admin

if that is a treatment plant, the water comming out can leagally be put into the water course, therefore no smell and dirty water.if this is happing there is something wrong in tank,is it in norwich? i could come and have a look for you ?I fit 3 of 4 a year and maintain 4 MSH :)

Edited By msh paving on 1385489298

PavingSuperstore

Harvesting might be an option, but I'm guessing would be quite a lot of work. Yes, it's Norwich area, sort of South West really. The planning approves putting it in the water course, but it's all ponds round here, so it just sits and stagnates. If you're passing at some stage, it would be good to know what we need to do even if we don't do it just yet. Are you Norwich based?

msh paving
Site Admin

i live in kings lynn, spend a lot off time in watton,, so no far away MSH :)

msh paving
Site Admin

treated water is clean so wont stagnate...MSH :(

PavingSuperstore

We're Hardingham, so not too far from Watton if you are ever in the area. It doesn't smell too good and is a grey colour, so can't be too good.....

msh paving
Site Admin

pm your fone number and ill see what i can arrange MSH :D

Edited By msh paving on 1385494788