Clearance around pipes

Foul and surface water, private drains and public sewers, land drains and soakaways, filter drains and any other ways of getting rid of water.
jwill

Putting some pipework in through a new build wall. I have built 6" drain offcuts into the wall then will send 4" pipe out through these, pack with glass wool insulation then pack with stainless steel wire wool. If you actually read the regs though they seem to want 50mm all around pipework. Is this 100mm overall or what? I've never seen anyone use 8" holes for 4" pipe. I very rarely see people use flex couplers when connecting rocker pipes so should think my 25mm all around is plenty

Tony McC
Site Admin

Fig 7 (p15) of Doc H B.Regs requires 50mm all around, and then fill with compressible sealant.

As ever with B.Regs, it comes down to what Building Control will accept, so you would need to have a chat with them.

When you think that, only 20 or so years ago, the "through" pipe was always rigidly embedded in the wall with mortar or concrete, and then linked either side with short rockers (300mm or so), and I've never yet seen a failure, so why all this fuss about compressible fillers and gas protection?
Site Agent - Pavingexpert

Tony McC
Site Admin

Fig 7 (p15) of Doc H B.Regs requires 50mm all around, and then fill with compressible sealant.

As ever with B.Regs, it comes down to what Building Control will accept, so you would need to have a chat with them.

When you think that, only 20 or so years ago, the "through" pipe was always rigidly embedded in the wall with mortar or concrete, and then linked either side with short rockers (300mm or so), and I've never yet seen a failure, so why all this fuss about compressible fillers and gas protection?
Site Agent - Pavingexpert

jwill

Sure bco will agree 25mm fine. At 1:80 there's going to be problems if it moves half an inch let alone 2!