Internal coupler

Foul and surface water, private drains and public sewers, land drains and soakaways, filter drains and any other ways of getting rid of water.
jwill

Nasty one today. Moving a drain for a bathroom refurb. Had it cut with flex coupler on but existing clay felt loose when I was adjusting pvc. Suspected it might be cracked so shoved the hose down pipe. Sure enough puddle formed At bottom of hole. Pulled it out and was a joint right in middle of the wall. No compo or tar rope to be seen anywhere. Worn away?

Anyway went and bought one of those all singing dancing internal flex couplers. Can go into pvc or clay. Over 30 quid but I saved my flex coupler and it saved me digging a hole outside. Impressed by them but wonder if they will last test of time. With the joint coming out so perfect i'd of liked to do it the old fashioned way but only have compo to hand couldn't get any kind of sealant (gaskin?). Is there a modern equivalent we can use in a caulk tube? Surely 'plumbers gold' or something would do the same job?

Tony McC
Site Admin

I'm not sure what we're using to replace gaskin nowadays. We had roll after roll of it stored in an old shed back when I was actively contracting, but I'm not sure what happened to it when we closed down the yard.

I've seen groundworkers use Denso in the past, and I've also seen polypropylene ducting draw rope used (!!!). I suspect most salt-glaze joints are now completed as solid sand/cement mortar joints. The gaskin was always used as a sort of "cushion" to avoid a hard mortar transferring pressure from the male spigot to the potentially fragile receiving collar, and to act as a semi-water-resistant buffer in cases where a joint might crack.

Would a puddle clay be suitable? We did use puddle at times when gaskin was "unavailable" (ie: left in the van away up the field or not brought out to site at all!)

Cracking set of photies, though. I may "borrow" one or more of those! :D
Site Agent - Pavingexpert

jwill

Yeh I'm sure I could of used some kind of silicone or something with some compo around. Fancied trying one of these couplers though and it is a neater no mess job using them. Are they? I just photo it so i can backfill without getting BCO out. Feel free to use you put a lot of effort into this site

lutonlagerlout
Site Admin

I hate to tell you this Jwill but your easy on the bottom of the rest bend is the wrong way round
IIRC the flow has to go into the female from the male
you could have cut a 120mm piece of pipe and used a double easy
what are those couplings called?
the hell I have had with clay pipes cracking and surrounded by concrete is nobody's business over the years :;):
as always fair play for posting fella
I am installing a harmer gully tomorrow,and the architect has it right on top of a trenchfill footing :angry:
cheers LLL :)
"what,you want paying today??"

YOUR TEXT GOES HERE

jwill

Good spot if it's a pull. Think I did have a double but what difference does it make if it's a double socket rest bend. You would still need a piece of pipe going into rest. Thought it was only adjustable which had a correct flow direction

jwill

The box for the couplings is in the photo flexeseal make them. Expensive for what they are!

lutonlagerlout
Site Admin

save a lot of time and heartache if they work mate!
plastic to clay connections have caused me a lot of grief over the years
LLL
"what,you want paying today??"

YOUR TEXT GOES HERE