Full width retaining wall drainage

Foul and surface water, private drains and public sewers, land drains and soakaways, filter drains and any other ways of getting rid of water.
onionsa

Hi all, I am having some work done in the garden which involves building a 2 foot double skin retaining wall around a patio and along the width of the garden, there is a break in the wall for steps to the grass, and then it will meet with a single skin workshop.

My question mainly for this topic is about drainage for the retaining wall. The previous retaining wall had no drainage, and we've never had any water logging.

Would a wall of this size require drainage? If so, what would be the best option? I don't really want weep holes, but I can't find examples of where a perforated pipe in the back fill would exit to when the wall runs the entire width of the garden.

Any help on this would be appreciated.

Here are a couple of pics (sorry onedrive links is the best they offer) to show the plan and what it was like before, we're essentially going for a bigger version, but more complete...

Plan Image

Old Wall Image

seanandruby
Site Admin

Can't you bring the drainage through the footings to a drainage point, or soakaway? Best practice to have drainage behind the wall to avoid saturation of the brickwork regardless of there not being any on the last one. have you looked here
sean