High ground level and water pooling indoors - How to build new path with drainage?

Foul and surface water, private drains and public sewers, land drains and soakaways, filter drains and any other ways of getting rid of water.
Drewdigs

Hi all, am looking for some help in how to design new side path and drainage to cope with lower indoor ground level than the path outside and shallow Victorian foundations.

We had to dig up a trench along the outside wall to replace an old lead water main and found that the Victorian foundations are not that deep. See sketch and photos.

Foundations close up.

Side path showing trench and foundations.

Inside ground level.

New suspended floor - door on left wall opening onto side path.

Path from front showing downpipe and 'dry area' to house wall!

Close up of dry area to front of house. The DPC is three courses down from the angled bricks.

We're replacing the floor indoors with a new suspended wooden one. We can see that the ground level indoors is lower and damp near the outside wall and showing some water pooling in the lower spots during heavy rain. Probably to do with us having no surface to the path outside at the moment but the high ground level outside will be helping to keep the indoor under floor area damp won't it?

To compound this the old ground level (crazy paving) was laid to the height of the DPC and above this a cement render skirt has been applied to the walls, we presume to aid waterproofing. We'll remove the crazy paving and reduce the ground level but not sure what we can do about the need to amke this 150mm below the DPC as it hits the splayed brick foundations at this point.

The nearest drainage point of surface water is the rainwater down pipe from the roof half way down the path and another one at the front of the house where there is what looks like a drainage channel full of soil (something like the dry area arrangement on the DPC page).

Should I dig up all of the old side path and whack in a load of type 1 or 3 hardcore with a brick paver path on top (or gravel?), lain to fall away from house towards party wall with an ACO drainage channel at the party wall side of the path. Am thinking that the hardcore would be laid down to below the level of the ground indoors.

Hopefully all clear from the photos but all Qs and suggestions welcome.

All a bit low quality and I'm in need of ideas on how to make this good.

Cheers.

seanandruby
Site Admin

Think you may need to tank it. A self adhesive membrane like bituthene coupled with one of the workarounds below. Give the brickwork a good clean to aid adhesion, repoint any failed mortar then ...workarounds here.
Hope this is of some use.
sean

Drewdigs

Tank the inside I presume? If I concreted the length of the path, sloping away from the wall (as a base for pavers) would that help? Would I need to think about putting a drain channel along the side of the path opposite the house wall?

seanandruby
Site Admin

Anything to stop the water seeping through the brickwork. Cleaning brickwork, repointing and maybe bituthene stuck to the brickwork and overlapping the concrete foundation. I assume the water is penetrating the brickwork and not coming up through the ground internally? Filling with concrete never waterproofs, there is a system of works which involves scabbling the brickwork and is costly. Although tanking can be expensive it is a better remedy. It could be that repointing and using a waterproof motar would cure it.
sean

Drewdigs

Great, will give it a go. Thanks for your help.