Locate a drain in a patio center? - Where should i locate the drain?

Foul and surface water, private drains and public sewers, land drains and soakaways, filter drains and any other ways of getting rid of water.
Robfulop

Hello, first time posting, first time paving - installing a small 6m x 8m patio along the side of our home. It’s a low stakes project, in a low stakes location, more of a learning exercise.

Excavation of the intended location uncovered an existing rainwater drain running straight thru down the center of the intended patio ... bringing water from the hillside to the street. There is also an unused upspout connected to this buried drain, which could conceivably be used to drain off surface water from the patio - it would be located close to the center of the patio. My question is should I try to use this existing setup and put some sort of gully in the middle of the patio, or should I just cover it up and locate a drain gully in a bottom corner? Using the existing drain would mean sloping the patio into a very shallow funnel-like shape where water accumulates in the middle of the patio, instead of a slight slope where the water runs off - I am not sure the “funnel� shape is feasible or doable ? Thank you

seanandruby
Site Admin

Is the "upspout" ( pop up )connected to anything, or is it capped off? It could be that the "upspout" is an existing rodding eye. Is the ground free draining, (could do a percolation test) if so a fall on your patio to garden might be enough to drain patio. Photo's are a big help to the brew cabin regulars.
sean

Robfulop

Ty ! The popup is connected and the water drains off down to the street . I’ll try to show an image !!

seanandruby
Site Admin

I'm not a fan of having a gully stuck in the middle of a patio. If it has been covered for a while and no problems, maybe you can just cap it off lower down. You can then either connect to an aco on along the edge of your patio, or free drain into the garden. The pipe doesn't look that deep either so will need a concrete cover surroud ilook here
sean