Surface water drainage - Is a soakaway the solution here?

Foul and surface water, private drains and public sewers, land drains and soakaways, filter drains and any other ways of getting rid of water.
Designmike

We bought our home a few years ago and part of the garden has terrible drainage issues with rain water taking ages to disappear from a few areas. The problems are mainly due to the clay soil and the fact that the garden is lower than the road.

The area in question is currently a top layer of bark chipping with a mixture of what looks like MOT underneath, then a weed fabric, then the soil.

The two main areas that the water collects are marked in the photo.

Yesterday I decided to dig a hole in each area about 2ft deep. The left area seems to be very dense soil at this depth and the right is very very very thick dense clay soil.

I filled the holes with water to see how they drained... they didn’t. Two hours later nothing had happened.

Unfortunately overnight it it rained and the holes now look like...see photo.

I’m stuck as to what to do to drain this water to a suitable place!? Can anybody help at all, all advice is greatly appreciated as I’m desperate to get this sorted ASAP.

Mike.

Tony McC
Site Admin

Please limit the size of photies to not more than 1000 pixels in width.

Have a read of the pinned topic at the top of this section

You most likely need a site-specific solution, most likely using a Sump'n'Pump arrangement.
Site Agent - Pavingexpert