Shoddy inspection chamber

Foul and surface water, private drains and public sewers, land drains and soakaways, filter drains and any other ways of getting rid of water.
Peter Robinson

Cleaning out an outside drain from my kitchen I recently lifted an inspection cover just close to my conservatory (the drain then goes under that). Oddly I noticed that the inspection chamber had TWO inlets and one outlet. On inspecting the second inlet this appeared just to be full of mud and stone. I suspect that the shoddy firm that installed the chamber (when the conservatory was being installed) simply used the wrong unit and did not block up the unused second inlet. Thus grey water leaving my kitchen therefore potentially goes into the soil around this inspection chamber as well as onwards to the main drain. Does anyone know whether I can seal this second entrance to the inspection chamber from inside, otherwise I’ll have to dig down outside the chamber and cap off). Are there any bung-like devices that I could use from the inside to seal the channel? Or will a good block of concrete do they job? Thoughts?

digerjones

Yes you can get bungs. Are you sure there's no bung?
dylan

Peter Robinson

Yes absolutely sure. I can get my hand sufficiently in the channel at the bottom of the inspection chamber to feel the edge of the inspection chamber and no pipe fitted or bung fitted from the outside

digerjones

dylan

seanandruby
Site Admin

I take it it is an in situ built one because if a plassy one it should have 3 inlets...one main and two lateral ones. If it a plassy and he only used one inlet then it should be the lowest main channel. Are you sure it's not taking anything else like a storm pipe? Have you rodded up to see if connected. Is it a shalliw I C
Max 600 depth. Are you sure it is not old debris just not been cleaned out? Try clean it out and then look again later to see if reoccuring. Photo be nice.
sean

Tony McC
Site Admin

Site Agent - Pavingexpert

Peter Robinson

Thanks so far for your help and advice.

I may not have described things too well – so took a photo or two – these are at

https://www.flickr.com/photos/152957443@N02/

The inspection chamber is an Osmadrain unit 60 cm deep and 23 mm internal diameter

When I found it I gave a good clean with pressure hose and the unit is now draining fine. However as I said previously the main inlet from kitchen is at 10oclock and the outlet at 4 oclock. The inlet at 12oclock is simply full of gravel – no pipe or bung. There is a bung in the inlet at 7 oclock – but not sure whether this is fitted from the inside or outside. Has anyone come across these units and do they have a bung fitted from inside.

Otherwise the suggestions for general purpose bungs look useful just to seal this.

Any thoughts ?

seanandruby
Site Admin

The main inlet and outlet should be open whilst
the latetals should be fitted with caps. You will need to use a test bung to stop ingress of soil. Do it up as tight as you can because you don't want that coming lose and blocking the channel.
sean