Gap between downpipe and patio slabs

Foul and surface water, private drains and public sewers, land drains and soakaways, filter drains and any other ways of getting rid of water.
cjp2k

Hi guys we moved into our new house before Christmas. The garden has a newish marshalls symphony paving at the back. The downpipe from the guttering drops straight into the paving.

However there is a 1cm gap around the downpipe. I have looked down the gap and there looks to be a round underground connection where the square downpipe is just sat into.

Looking at the older paving around the side presumably when the house was built,there is a big square of mortar around the downpipes however on the new patio it's cut much closer to the downpipe but has the gap.

I cant cement round this as the cement has nothing to sit on as there is a 4 inch drop between the connection underground and the paving. Is there any collars I can put over the downpipe to stop everything dropping down it...

Or any other advice

Thanks

Chris

digerjones

Any pictures. Extend the downpipe. You can get rubber covers. With out seeing it, it's hard to advise.
dylan

seanandruby
Site Admin

4D159 adaptor from osma, or Brett Martin B4801 fits on 110ml pipe and takes down pipe size from 30 ml to 70 ml. Of course you may find you'll need to cut the down pipe to slide the rubber gasket on and joint it up again. You will most likely get one from Wickes, or one of the sheds, if no success i can send you one. I have lots of drainage for sale from ICS to covers, some storm crates, fittings etc:very cheap. Any photo's would also help.
sean

cjp2k

I will get a photo tomorrow do the rubber covers fit the square downpipes

seanandruby
Site Admin

Yes will fit square, or round.
sean

cjp2k

Hopefully this photo works....
Downpipe

seanandruby
Site Admin

Sorry m8 i thought it was the pipe into pipe where the gap was? If it's only the paving that has a gap you can point it up. I cant understand why it was left open.
sean

cjp2k

The issue I have is that there is nothing under for the mortar to sit on, the downpipe goes into a big 110mm drain about 4-5 inches lower than the patio, so essentially I am pointing into thin air, I don't want all the mortar to drop into the pipe either...

seanandruby
Site Admin

Ok that's a lot clearer. It looks like you will have to lift the slab to repair the pipework. Must of been some cowboy do that work.
sean

cjp2k

Great, when we purchased the house we were told it was put in by a supposed Marshalls installer,

Any ideas how they would repair the drain, current drain is like I said 4inches below the slab, but looking down the cracks it looks like the original drain is in one piece,

The rest of the house is the same, however is all pointed in, but the cut around the downpipe is much bigger than this (original builder)

As the drain underneath is much bigger than the cut out of the paving, I don't see how it could be fixed? I don't feel like ripping up the entire patio, as the slabs don't look to be the cheapest if they get damaged!

cjp2k

Just a update, I have just measured, its 2 inches almost exactly from the top of the pipe underground and the top of the patio slab, could I remove the downpipe, get one of those rubber gaskets as above, plonk on the drain, put downpipe back in and fill up with cement, the mortar would then sit on the gasket and not go down the drain?

Thanks

Chris

seanandruby
Site Admin

You could but it will be very difficult to do with such little space. I'm wondering how much spoil has gone down the pipe so far. It might need your hand down there to clean it out. If it is a p trap you it could be clogged up. I was thinking of installing a hopper but don't think you have the depth. I would of liked to see the 110ml level with top of paving for cleaning purposes as and when, because if it is a p trap it will need regular maintenance. Is there an ic local that you could rod and see?
sean

cjp2k

Yes there is a 2 manhole covers about a meter away. One of them must be for the rain water. Can you take up the slab without damage?

seanandruby
Site Admin

Depends on how well it's laid.
sean

cjp2k

Well I have managed a very diy job of fixing this today. I took of the downpipe. Cleaned out the underground drain, which wasn't too bad. Ran the hosepipe down the underground pipe for 15 minutes and no backfill of water. Used one of the rubber adapters put the downpipe in. And filled with mortar.

Ran the hosepipe down the downpipe at full power for 10 mins and no sign of water back up.

Just checked on the pointing and it's drying nicely and relatively flat for a idiot like me:D