Permission needed? - Connecting a aco drain

Foul and surface water, private drains and public sewers, land drains and soakaways, filter drains and any other ways of getting rid of water.
DIYSOS33

Hi,

This is my first time posting on the site, so apologies if this question has been raised before!

I'm doing a DIY driveway job, but trying my best to do things properly. Part of the driveway is to be block paved (under the size to require planning permission). The drive slopes towards the house and longer term I plan to block pave a larger section (subject to planning approval), so I want to fit a ACO drain now close to the property. There will be a small section of block paving directly outside the property which slopes down to the ACO drainage channel, with a larger section of blocks sloping in the opposite direction also in to the same ACO drainage channel.

I've looked at the option of soakaways etc, but from what I can see the area is too near to our property and the neighbours to do this.

I have easy access to our Rainwater drainage underground pipe which I have tracked back to the downpipe. My plan is to cut a section out of the underground drainage pipe (110mm plastic drainage) and fit a 90 degree double socket junction, which would connect to a ACO sump and then the ACO drainage channel in to this. I'm no expert, but this is within my capabilities DIY-wise, but I want to check is this technically allowed without planning permission and plans being drawn up? I have read a bit online that you can carry out repairs or minor alterations without submitting plans, but what do they class as minor work and what do I need to do to meet any requirements?

If need be I'd rather go down the road now of contacting the council, but for what I'm doing my gut feeling is this seems over the top for such minor work.

I want to try and do things by the book as best I can and avoid problems at a later date if I decide to sell the property so any advice on this would be greatfully received :)

Thanks

seanandruby
Site Admin

have you looked here?
Is there no way you can fit storm crates?
sean

DIYSOS33

Hi Sean, thanks for your help and the weblink - I'll have a proper read up on this. Our soil is quite heavy clay, are storm crates an option in this type of ground?

seanandruby
Site Admin

Not really but you need to do a percolation test.
Dig a hole apart 300 x300x300 and fill with water, monitor how fast it drops. Once you have explored all avenues and your only option is connecting to swd then it should be allowed. Best to go the legal route.
sean

DIYSOS33

Thanks for the advice Sean, I do appreciate your help. Having done a bit more reading I think I'm going to go down the permeable paving route probably using the Bradstone Infilta blocks and sub base materials. Will cost more for materials but a lot less hassle on the planning front! My final question (and I'll leave you in peace I promise!) Can Infilta/permeable surfaces be fitted as a DIY job, or is there a requirement to get them installed by a professional/approved layer?

seanandruby
Site Admin

Depends on the diyer. I think you will be fine, just look on the index and pop in and ask the guys on here for advice, their expertise is secod to none. Be prepared for some hard graft but don't give in. Remember to take a step back now and again and take a look at the your progress. Good luck.
sean

DIYSOS33

Thanks for the advice and help Sean! I might need a bit of luck but I'll get there in the end! This website and forum is great. Keep up the good work and a big thank you again for all your help :)