Do i need a dry channel?

Foul and surface water, private drains and public sewers, land drains and soakaways, filter drains and any other ways of getting rid of water.
rystar00

Hi guys,

This site is an incredible resource, and thank you all for your valuable contributions to the forum which I have read with interest!

I am about to embark on paving my front garden and will start digging this weekend to prep the ground. I am using riven sandstone. It won't take any traffic really and will be used to store our bins (will use a full mortar bed etc).

I just wondered, given how low the air bricks are, whether I will need a dry channel where the patio will butt up to the house. If so how deep will I need to dig please and how wide should the channel be?

Thanks

Ryan

Picture

Tony McC
Site Admin

Not as big as that picture, obviously!

I can only see the one air brick, so I'd be tempted to just box that out with a bit of brickwork or an edging, giving 150mm clearance from the masonry and trying to keep the base of the dry channel at least 50mm below the bottom of the airbrick.
Site Agent - Pavingexpert

rystar00

Sorry it's big isn't it! I'm not tech savvy so not sure how to change it.

Thanks very much for the advice. Do you think it would look like a bodge? I would happily dig down a bit further if so.

Tony McC
Site Admin

No - a small cut-out as described would be barely noticeable.
Site Agent - Pavingexpert