Help with understanding what pipe i can conect to

Foul and surface water, private drains and public sewers, land drains and soakaways, filter drains and any other ways of getting rid of water.
scotty78

Hi

I need to run some channel drains for my patio, I have (hopefully) attached some pictures showing some of my closest water/soil pipes.

The first picture is my rainwater pipe, the pipes are old cast iron and my kitchen sink and bathroom sink both connect to this downpipe. I think I have read this isn't the way things are done nowadays but can only assume it was acceptable 60 years ago when the house was built.

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums....qyj.jpg

The second picture shows what I guess is a gulley? This is positioned in between the rainwater/sink downpipe and the toilet stack. When I lift the cover it has some concrete and some bricks before it goes down into a chamber, when I use the kitchen sink this is where the water goes and this is hopefully where I can connect to?

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums....7jf.jpg

The 3rd pic is the soil pipe, this is positioned after the gulley and on my front lawn I have a bigger drain that when the toilet is flushed either in my house or my neighbours, assume there drains must be connected to mine you can hear the running water etc.

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums....jku.jpg

The gulley is about 4 metres from where my channel drains will be, I was hoping I could dig out the path to the gulley run my plastic pipe and just break out some bricks put the pipe in and seal around the pipe. Is this acceptable? and do I require 4 inch pipe. I think I had read somewhere connecting to this is acceptable as long as the flow of the water is going the same direction.

The patio is small 23m2 I don't anticipate a lot of rainwater but I want to do things properly rather than regret it later.

Final question after my aco drains are in place and I have haunched them, can I put type 1 against them and wack my sub base? What happens when you lay your indian stone against them doesn't the haunching hold them out to far or mean that the bedding for they slabs has to be greatly reduced. I couldn't find anything about this on the net.

Thanks

Tony McC
Site Admin

I can only assume you have a Combined system, with fould and surface water in the same pipe. That would be the only logical explanation for KW and Bathroom pipes connecting into a RWP, which is very, very bad practice, as it was 60 years ago!

So, your plan is to drain a patio into the same system via new pipework. This would be fine, but the new pipeline will have to be trapped, to prevent odours/sewer gases venting.

There is advice on making new connection to an existing manhole/IC on this page

There are also installation cross-section drawings for linear channels on the main website. If you couldn't find anything on "the net" then you obviously missed this site!
Site Agent - Pavingexpert