Aco drain channel

Foul and surface water, private drains and public sewers, land drains and soakaways, filter drains and any other ways of getting rid of water.
rks

hello just about to install Aco linear drain channel approx 4 meters in length total . my question is could i direct kitchen outlet waste just above the channel into it but cutting a hole in the grating ? possible with a bend at the end to reduce splashing ? Thanks

http://s1380.photobucket.com/user....pg.html

seanandruby
Site Admin

NO!!! Sink waste is foul water and should be piped into the foul waste system. If you go into a linear channel it will stink and attract rats etc:
sean

rks

not sure if i explained properly , sorry , the foul water is going direct in the chamber below the rainwater has been flowing in that drain prior , and the foul water would not sit in the channel as i would make a hole on the grate at the top so pipe goes direct below .
thanks

seanandruby
Site Admin

Sink waste, bath water etc: ( graywater )will have to go into a trapped gully. There are filter systems that you could harness the bath/shower for recycling to flush the loo but very expensive. Unless your on a remote area i don't reckon it would be an option. Sink, shower, w'shing machine waste harbour bacteria than will soon chuck up a smell and be harmful to your health. Your post is a bit difficult to unerstand ???
sean

Tony McC
Site Admin

Like Sean, I'm struggling to follow your plan. Is this what you have in mind....?

You want to install a linear channel against the house, and this linear channel will outfall to the existing hopper, shown in your photie, which already takes kitchen waste. In effect, your plan is to send surface water collected by the linear channel into the foul water system.

This is regarded as very naughty, unless you have a combined system. Sending relatively clean surface water away down to the effluent treatment works to be expensively cleaned is bad practice and a waste of resources.

However, if this is what you *are* doing, then you need an air- and water-tight seal between the outfall from the linear channel and the pipework currently connected to the kitchen waste hopper. You should use proper fittings as far as practical to ensure none of the foul water from the kitchen waste can linger in the channel or escape from the connection.

Personally, I'd pipe the 40mm plastic waste directrly into the FW pipework, passing through the linear channel, so that there's no risk of food waste, etc., lingering within the channel.

Does that help?
Site Agent - Pavingexpert