Falls, drainage etc - Novice needing help

Foul and surface water, private drains and public sewers, land drains and soakaways, filter drains and any other ways of getting rid of water.
mango301

Hi,

First off apologies if the answer to this seems obvious to you, this will be my first patio build despite being a keen DIYer in other areas and i've been scratching my head a bit so thought i'd ask.

I've included some photos to assist in explaining my question. Essentially I'm trying to design a patio to run down the side of the rear of my house and into the grassed area a bit. At present the surface down the side is covered with a mix of concrete and slabs, they fall to a gully near the house near the soil pipe, and one at the corner near the grass. There is also a rainwater down pipe that just discharges across the slab to the gully near the soil pipe.

My initial thoughts were to rip out all existing, make sure i'm 150mm from DPC and start fresh. But i can't fit a gully to the rainwater downpipe as in order to tie into the combined sewer which runs from the back of the house, under it and out to the road i'd have to excavate beneath the property to connect it in the right flow direction? So i thought i'd fall the patio away from the house (1 in 60) into a linear drain along the boundary wall, this could pick up the rainwater downpipe and surface water from the patio and i'd be able to tie it into the inspection chamber. But if i do this bit in 1in60 do i just adopt this fall for the patio along the rear of the house in the grassed area or would i be better to change the fall for surface water to discharge back on to the grass, and if so how do i accomodate two fall directions at the corner? by the way, the other half is interested in sandstone flags in a random layout!

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

mango301

Hi, any suggestions/questions?

Cheers

Stu

seanandruby
Site Admin

Couldn't you run a pipe into a storm crate in the garden 5 metres from the house?
sean

mango301

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. Yeah i could stick one at the end of the garden, it would be near the boundary wall though but i guess this would be ok?

Having thought about it a bit more i think I'll stick with the existing gullies adjacent to the house and just calculate my falls at 1:60 towards these. May have to adjust their height a bit but that seems ok.

Just got another question about the falls, if i have an s curve and one end of the curve is 2.3m from the gulley and the other is 4.5m from the gully, do i work out the height of both points (38mm and 75mm) and adjust the curve level along it between these points or do i sitck with the 75mm all along the edge?

Thanks

seanandruby
Site Admin

sean