Connecting new land drain to old clay d shaped pip - Land drain connections

Foul and surface water, private drains and public sewers, land drains and soakaways, filter drains and any other ways of getting rid of water.
RH2016

RH

RH2016

for anyone joining this thread… help very gratefully received. photos are on links in above post.
thanks for looking and for your advice.

The old toilet "joint" butts against the soil pipe, you can see it in the first photo.
The soil pipe also crosses the trench at the corner, you can see the concrete cover in the corner of the wall in the second and third pictures. So I can't dig the trench any deeper.

I am a total novice in terms of drains, so I'm learning as I go along. Need to sort this problem as the hill behind sheds water down to the house, comes through the stone wall as well as following the left hand land drain into toilet joint (in the pics) and making the house damp! :)
RH

lutonlagerlout
Site Admin

it does indeed look like a botch job
I would be inclined to cut it all out and maybe build a small IC where all the pipes meet
LLL
"what,you want paying today??"

YOUR TEXT GOES HERE

RH2016

That was my though too. How can I connect the old land pipes which are D shaped (and different sizes) into the IC?
RH

lutonlagerlout
Site Admin

you cut all the pipes back to your new size,say 450/600 then form a concrete base on a dry day

once this has set you then build a small chamber with the pipes coming on to a central run

its hard to explain in type but relatively easy for any decent ground worker or bricky
LLL
"what,you want paying today??"

YOUR TEXT GOES HERE

RH2016

Thanks for your help. Problem is that I have no experience of this work and trying to sort it myself on a budget.

I have seen circular IC's on the internet but what I can't work out is how to joint the outflow (which is the old D shaped land drain) into the IC. How would I go about cutting one of these pipes back to the same size as you suggest?
I have seen band seal adjustable couplings on the Internet too. But I can't quite see how they would work on a D shaped pipe?

Any jointing suggestions? Or suggestions on how to solve my problem.

I can't take this D shaped drain up, as it drops steeply and likely heads under the utility. The other direction I hit rock so I can't send the flow out that way.
So I'm a bit stumped!

Thanks for your help.
RH

digerjones

On your first picture is that what you are calling a d shape drain. If it is, to me it looks like a bottom of a toilet, the u bend.
Clear the area up and let's see another picture of it
dylan

RH2016

Hi. No, the drain taking the outflow from the u bend is shaped like a D. The flat side lies on the ground and the rounded edge goes up and over, like a normal pipe. There are a pile of the on the top of the wall in one of the pictures.
I'll get back to it on Saturday and send more pictures.
Thanks.
RH

seanandruby
Site Admin

So is that junction taking foul waste from somewhere and was the land drain connected into it?
sean

RH2016

Hi.
No, The soil pipe is just visible alongside the u bend in the photo. It runs left to right, parallel to the side of the house.

The u bend takes purely surface water in on two sides (top and right) and outflow on the other (left). :)
RH