Gully around house - do i need to seal it? - Drainage gully filled with stone

Foul and surface water, private drains and public sewers, land drains and soakaways, filter drains and any other ways of getting rid of water.
Katski

Hi, a friend has been kind enough to offer to lay a patio for me on top of concrete. The issue is the damp proof course is not that high so he has suggested angle grinding the edge of the concrete off and putting stones in the gully. Will this cause damp probs or is this common practice? Just didn't sound right and I don't want to question him as he's doing me a favor.

Plan is then to re-level the rest and slab on top. Will this work??

Would appreciate any advice you guys have.

Thanks
Katski

lemoncurd1702

Could work, hard to tell without seeing the site but not good if intended for drainage i.e don't have the fall towards the channel.

It's bloody difficult smashing out a narrow channel against a brick wall and maybe easier to start from scratch.
Cheers
Lemoncurd

Katski

Thanks lemoncurd. It's not the main drainage. He seems to think he can smash it out so if it's not a crazy idea I'll let him get on with it.

Appreciate the response.
Katski

lemoncurd1702

Make sure it's excavated to a permeable layer or that it has somewhere to drain to.
Cheers
Lemoncurd

lutonlagerlout
Site Admin

sounds half arsed to me
if the levels are too high reduce them and sit back for years to come with no problems
taking the cheap option now will cost you down the line
LLL
"what,you want paying today??"

YOUR TEXT GOES HERE

seanandruby
Site Admin

Try here
I think this is what your friend is on about. Workarounds are used only as a last resort and ideally you need to rip out the old base if it's to high. I would only use this method if no other option, for instance, services etc; being to high.
What part of Sussex are you in?
sean

Katski

Thanks Sean, that page explains it perfectly. I'm in Brighton and the quotes we've had to remove all concrete and start again are just so high. When a friend said there was a workaround and he would do the labour at mates rates it is pretty much quarter of the price. I don't want to cause issues in future but it seems that if the gully measures correctly and has a concrete base at the right angle then we should be able to use this solution.
Katski

seanandruby
Site Admin

you'll need this to
Not far away, I'm in Hailsham.
sean