High flow rate through land drains?

Foul and surface water, private drains and public sewers, land drains and soakaways, filter drains and any other ways of getting rid of water.
mbrook

We have a field with a steep rising gradient behind our garden and also natural springs in the field. Therefore we get a lot of surface run off coming down including a couple of small streams when it rains hard!

I'm planning on installing channel drains around the perimeter to collect the run off but then connect that into existing land drains that run down the side of the house. My question is whether a high volume of water entering a land drain will stay in the pipe or discharge through the perforations because the 'hydrostatic' pressure is outward rather than inward?

seanandruby
Site Admin

Water will flow to it's lowest point. It seems to be going somewhere do you know where? You might need to build a catch pit if installing linear drains to catch the silt otherwise your filter drain will silt up.
sean

mbrook

The run off is draining to a soak away, but I didn't install that and its nearer to the house than I'd like and there's a pretty high flow going to it, so I'd much rather know where that volume of water is going to and know its draining away properly.

Really, I'm after any advice on whether the water will spill out of the land drain when it connects in to and therefore if I need to lay fixed piping all the way down to the exit point

seanandruby
Site Admin

I would run it in it's own pipework to the soakaway. Plain pipe 150 ml.
sean