Tarmac drive question

Setts and cobbles, tarmac, asphalt, resin systems, concrete whether it's plain, patterned or stencilled, gravels, etc.
Lisa

Thanks for all of the information I have read up on at this great site.

I wonder if you experts could help with my queries? I wish to extend my current driveway and have had two quotes for block paving. The new drive dimensions are 69/75 sq.m (depending on the quote) and I also require a brick wall to be built 11m long 1.0 m high. The two quotes I have been given are: £6,750 and £5,320 – so a bit of a difference. Due to budget constraints, I am now considering a tarmac drive with block-paved edging. I haven’t had any quotes as yet for tarmac, although I have rung-around and am awaiting appointments. My question is: how much of a reduction in costs could I expect for a tarmac drive – would anyone have a ‘guesstimate’?

Also, under normal use, what is the life-expectancy of both materials tarmac –v- block-paving.

Many thanks
Lisa

84-1093879891

I don't think you'd see much of a cost diff between bitmac and block paving, actually.

While bitmac is cheaper over larger areas, when it comes to small residential drives, and anything less than 200 square metres is small, then the price of bitmac is relatively expensive. This is because, with bitmac, you have fixed costs regardless of job size - the roller, the firebox, and the insulated wagon, etc., all cost the same whether you're have 200m² or 20m².

Judging from the feedback I receive via the Annual Price Survey, bitmac for an area of around 100m² is just fractionally cheaper than standard block paving - you're looking at 38-40 quid for the bitmac and 42-48 quid per square metre for the block paving. (All plus yer VAT)

The prices you've been quoted - are these job prices, ie, do they include the wall? Most block paving contractors know what is the going rate in their area, and they all tend to be pretty similar, so I wondered whether it was the wall that was casuing the significant price discrepancy. Maybe one contractor is adept at walling while the other would have to bring in a brickie, which is obviously that bit more expensive. If you can, get a separate price for the wall, so that you can see who's charging how much for the paving work, and judge that against the cost of having the job done in bitmac.

In terms of longevity and service, then block paving is, by far, the better surface. It looks better, it's easier to repair, it keeps its looks for longer, it's not affected by oil/fuel spills, and it has a longer design life. If it was a choice between a 5 Grand block paved drive, and 4 Grand bitmac, then the block paving would still be better value, in my eyes. You'd have to get the bitmac down to around half the price of block paving to make me regard it as a possible alternative to block paving on my own driveway.

Lisa

Hi Tony

Many thanks for your sound advice. The quotes received did include the price of the wall. I will certainly ask these contractors to split the costs just so I can see what they will be charging for the wall alone - I had never thought of that, so thanks again.

I have had a tarmac quote now and again, you were dead right by saying there is not much between the bitmac and block-paving prioce. The difference is £1,200.

I am trying to keep the costs right down, but having considered your advice and that of the contractors do think that block-paving would be the right choice after all.

I ewill now have to see my kind bank manager to squeeze a bit extra out of him.

Thanks again for all of your help and advice.

regs
Lisa